New Here....and Happy to help with steel frames

Hi Everyone

Ive been a lurker for some time and figured Id finally get around to joining up. Love the board, some great projects and amazing work.

I am the proud owner of a CO suit and what I was told is a GF suit, so I may convert the GF into a sandy.

I figured Id start by offering to make some backpack frames if anyone has good photos or specs. Not really a for sale offer, just an offer in general, having never made one.

I run a modest costume biz and we do a lot of metal and fiberglass projects.

Cheers and if I can help, please let me know if I can assist.

Drew

http://www.partsandtechnical.com

Overall sizing I have listed here, obviously just change the material out to metal. I'd also reduce the center 17.5" parts down to about 17" or 16.5" as some tolerance is left for trimming in that plan in case of off-center bends. Aside from that they should be pretty close to the film specs. Mike/TK1536 did some nice metal frames from old boy scout frames and may have some dimensional input as well. Nice to see you on the boards!

Just make them light. Solid steel or metal frames are out of the question. The Boyscout frames, when cut and shaped correctly are perfect, strong and very light. Also, if you find them on ebay, they can usually be had for less than $20.

Well I have as many answers and I now have questions!

Yes we work with all manner of metals and have regular access to machine shops nearby.

My speciality is metal armor, though I do work in fiberglass a lot.

As for the frames, Im sure we could do something dead-on accurate for a reasonable price--although we have done a fair share of idealized pieces, I love aiming for high accuracy (at least aesthetically) whenever possible so I think the frames would reflect this interest.

Yes, obviously solid steel would be a bear, whew! Hollow tubes are the way to go.

Cheers

Drew

Well I have as many answers and I now have questions!

Yes we work with all manner of metals and have regular access to machine shops nearby.

My speciality is metal armor, though I do work in fiberglass a lot.

As for the frames, Im sure we could do something dead-on accurate for a reasonable price--although we have done a fair share of idealized pieces, I love aiming for high accuracy (at least aesthetically) whenever possible so I think the frames would reflect this interest.

Yes, obviously solid steel would be a bear, whew! Hollow tubes are the way to go.

Cheers

Drew

I think you're in Clinton MD... do you know or get stuff made at a machine shop owned by an 'Edmunds'? in or around Temple Hills?

Not really, most of our stuff is made here in the shop; we have about four machine shop centers along the east coast. (mostly because DC area machine shops dont like to take on small projects when hundreds/millions of dollars in Federal money projects are so tempting....did I ever tell anyone about the time I accidently walked into a shop working on an experimental combat vehic-....eh, nevermind).

Not really, most of our stuff is made here in the shop; we have about four machine shop centers along the east coast. (mostly because DC area machine shops dont like to take on small projects when hundreds/millions of dollars in Federal money projects are so tempting....did I ever tell anyone about the time I accidently walked into a shop working on an experimental combat vehic-....eh, nevermind).

Yeap, the shop in question makes all their money from frivolous government spending. Things like $20,000 custom aluminum tables for break rooms.