A Few Questions About Paint Removal

maj_hassel

I just recently bought a AP kit (no helmet) and the seller had painted it white (Rustoleum Professional paint).

I'm concerned that the color won't match the AP bucket I already own.

What would be the best method to take the paint off?

If I use a solvent--I'm guessing I'll have to--will it screw up the finish of the ABS? Will it damage or discolor the plastic?

I obviously won't know if this will be necessary until I see the kit and the bucket together. I hope it's avoidable.

Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

I thought the helmet is supposed to be a slightly different colour in order to be authentic. I'm not sure what the two tones are supposed to be but I do know that Rustoleum White is used on the helmets all the time.

Hope this helps

I agree with KarmaTiger, it would be easier to paint one helmet then one armor. And i have also read the Rustoleum White is used. anyway we have to wait and see. Post again once the helmet get there!!

Either paint the helmet the same color as the armor, or just leave it. They should be two different whites anyway (and might be as bare ABS due to different plastic lots). If you really are ****-bent on stripping it you could spot test on a small part with Easy-Off oven cleaner (I know you can take paint off of resin w/o damaging it with that) I don't know how it reacts with ABS though.

I thought of painting the helmet white.

The only problem there is that I live in the city of Chicago and spray-paint is illegal to sell within city limits. This is some bureaucrat's flash of genius to stop graffitti; most kids use markers to tag last time I checked.

What preparations would I need to the helmet before painting? Do I have to buy new decals? Please say no.

You could use vinyl masking tape or painting tape to mask off the decals & just paint the white area. Bummer on the spray paint, can you get hobby paint & use a CO2 sprayer? Or maybe you know someone who lives outside of the city whose house you can spray at.

You just bought my armor bro

I wouldnt remove the paint. I had to wet sand it before I painted it so the ABS will be very roughed up anyway. I suggest painting the helmet with the Rustolium pro as well. Just remember.... put a coat on and wait 4 minutes, then put the next coat on and wait 4 minutes, then put the next coat on and let the helmet set for at least 48 hours before handling. If you wait more than oh 30 minutes between coats you will get orange peel. You can get stickers from gundamzepplin's connection here on the board. I hope you like my armor. I am sending it out today. I am very sad to see it go

Thanks for all of the advice! I had no idea that the bucket's not really supposed to match the armor. That certainly takes some of the weight off.

I'm thinking (hoping, actually) that the difference in shades won't be too far apart and I can just leave it.

The only reason I'm apprehensive to paint anything (I've painted several buckets and armor, just not with Rustoleum) is that the weather in Chicago's a bit inconsistent lately and it's pretty humid.

With Rustoleum, how easy is it to clean off scuff marks?

I'm sorry that you had to let your armor go; I hope the money helps with . I can't wait to try it on.