How much fullers earth needed?

oo-tee-dee!

don´t want to hijack your thread, but if you´re looking on ebay and the pack of fullers earth is far too big, i´m interested in getting half of it! we could split the price in two plus shipping cost to germany of course!

A little goes a very, very, very long way. I must've weathered no less than three of four suits, plus six or seven helmets and I think I still have half the container full. And I have the smallest container, too!

Yep, I still have two little containers from a friend and I have weathered my suit + extra parts, another guys suit part way, two helmets, a backpack and its still not gone. I have plenty to cover the packs I have planned, with enough left to re-do my suit if needed.

So how many grams are we talking then, 100g, more?

I have no idea. I could only buy it in one size and that's what I bought. Perhaps look for an alternative... didn't someone post a similar product for small scale models in smaller quantities?

Don't want to steal your thread Rachel, but you might want the info too. I have my fullers but am a bit confused on the application. Braks guide says "Fuller's earth is applied with hair spray and a sponge brush" Thought I get some input on this from the pros. Not exactly clear on the hairspray and sponge brush method.

From what I've read, you put hairspray onto your weathered armour so the Fullers will stick to it. Then put a tiny bit of fullers on a paintbrush, hold it a couple of feet above the arour, and tap the brush to let the fullers fall off and onto the armour. There is a link somewhere else on this weathering section for a HOW TO page, just can't think which thread

From what I've read, you put hairspray onto your weathered armour so the Fullers will stick to it. Then put a tiny bit of fullers on a paintbrush, hold it a couple of feet above the arour, and tap the brush to let the fullers fall off and onto the armour. There is a link somewhere else on this weathering section for a HOW TO page, just can't think which thread

Haha. Now that makes sence. I was actually quoting Brak's guide in my earlier post. All it says it to apply the fullers with "hairspray and a sponge brush" I figured that the hairspray was to make it stick, but rubbing it on with the brush didn't seem right. I like your method Rachel. I'm sure that's what Brak's guide was referring to.

This is correct.

HOWEVER... the real magic happens when you start to remove excess with a wet/dry paper towel combination. Creating wear patterns and contrast in the dry dusting of Fullers. It's really an art form to be practiced over and over again, while you might call it a technique, I think of it as a practiced skill.

I agree, it takes some time to get it right but there is definitely a technique you develop. The first few tries were awkward, although I was lucky enough to observe Mike's style and I just took cues from that. You will wind up re-doing parts a couple times until you are happy with them but think of those as learning experiences.