Specific identification of parts and where to find them

steve12201

As a relative newbie to the site, I've been going through a lot of backpack threads trying to figure out how to get started, what to buy, and where to get it. There are over 5 pages of threads with a ton of great material. The problem is that I've been surfing for about an hour and a half on just backpacks and I am still at square one.

I know that Seth, Mike and a lot of other guys have just about nailed every uber-accurate part of each of the different packs. I though it would be cool, if possible, to create a specific thread that troopers could go to get the info they need for that specific pack design.

I guess that there should be a specific thread for each pack from ANH that has been identified and named. It would be ice if each of the threads started with some photos so that troopers could pick out the one they want to build and then continue with a list of parts needed and where they can be obtained. Photos of the raw parts would also be cool. The remainder of the thread could include the tutorial on how to fabricate the parts and ideas on how to assemble the packs.

I know that there are many variations and options available, so maybe a better way to do it would be to isolate specific parts of the packs that seem to carry over through the different variations and create "master" threads on those parts... i.e. mortar tubes, exhaust ports, radio face plates, BS frames, PVC frames, boxes.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I totally agree. However, the reality is, the info presented here on the subject of back packs was slowly compiled over a few years. While it would certainly make sense to do what you outline, it would take a considerable amount of time. I'm currently working on a new revision of my personal web site that 'should' have a depth of info that you seek.

I, probably more than anyone wish there was a super-easy and detailed synopsis of the Sandtrooper back pack. But, personally speaking, I find that just about every part that's been discussed, fabricated, built, etc. has been through numerous revisions, changes and such, thus nullifying any previous tutorial (my old Tupperware Bee Stinger for example).

Aside from the Tupperware Stow-N-Go, Radar dish, leads of Cisterns and seed trays... we really don't know much about what really comprised the back packs.

• 4 weeks later...

So is there such a thread that exists for a full parts list?

I was planning on going what TK-409 posted on his site for now. Had a backpack from when I joined the Legion in 02 but it didn't withstand the test of time so I am starting fresh.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

- John

Semi-unanimous, I still think that thing is too oblong.

I think the faucet cover is a wee bit too large overall, and possibly a little thicker than it should be to be an exact match, but I think it's closer than anything else I've seen or used.

I was a bit skeptical about the whole oblong thing until I watched the roadblock scene in the original cut of ANH again. One of the troopers turns and you can see just how oblong the stinger is. It's a quick shot, but in motion (as opposed to screencaps) I think it's pretty visible on at least that one pack.

Sorry, don't mean to derail.

I agree, I think the faucet covers so far are looking close, but all the ones I find are too wide for my taste. I thought about trying to fabricate something out of sheet plastic, making a tube then deforming it. I may give that a shot and see how it turns out.

• 4 months later...

Not to commit Zombie-ism on this thread but FYI there are two sizes of faucet covers. The smaller of the two is what we are all after, and what Mike was talking about. Earlier in the year I found the large ones and was like "wtf" but later found the smaller one and was all like "orly? lolz".

the backpack thing seems perfect for an MEPD wiki. i set up dokuwiki on the NEG site in about 20 minutes, 15 of which was making the templates match the rest of the site.

we're starting to populate it with any cool info that comes up. by using a wiki, any member can contribute, and it can evolve with the information that comes out.