Can someone author a flash game?

SethB6025

I thought it might be cool if we had a flash game built into the site. I had in mind something like a Tattooine shooting gallery. It wouldn't have to be too complicated, maybe a view down an alley and different characters would pop out of the doors or up on the roof and a landspeeder goes by. You blast the "bad guys" and you lose points for blasting "good guys". Yeah, a shooting gallery. Anyone?

Seth,

That sounds alot like the idea I posted in the MFP forums on Feb 14th, during a website content and design disussion, as a possible cursor design on the website:

The second idea is to use the targeting reticle of an E11 as the cursor, and having a Tatooine desert landscape with the twin suns as the background with various images in it - Sandtrooper, Jawa, Blasters leaning against a wall, Lansdpeeder, The Moisture Farm, etc as targets that can be "BLASTED" by moving the reticle image over them and clicking to access SANDTROOPER INFORMATION, or BLASTERS, etc. When the reticle moves over the onjects, a small flashing bit of text appears in the "scope image" of the reticle indicating the section currently selected.

and pre-dated on Feb 9th when I posted this speaking to kurtweinreich:

My main concern was that ideas we had discussed here could become a lightbulb idea on the MEPD boards and they would run with the idea that we had already discussed, claiming it as their own.

Any thoughts or comments?

@ Ward; Great minds must think alike, I haven't logged into the MFP boards in a while (you could probably look and see when I last logged in), I thought I have more recently than that, but don't recall those posts. In all honesty I have been wanting to do it for months. The website that inspired me was actually omegawing, where they have a flash version of Xwing vs TIE fighter on the main page.

As far as claiming any idea for my "own" I don't. There are a million websites that have flash games on them and any idea that someone has anymore will have already been had. Whether you want to believe me or not is up to you, but if you wanted to talk about it more in private thats no problem.

@ Defstar; If we would do it I'd rather see something original made by our members. Anything we make for or use on the site is better off being made from scratch as opposed to being borrowed or modified from something existing.

Hey guys, I started work on a flash Stormtooper based shooter well over 18 months ago but never got very far before loosing interest. Wierd thing is its very similar to whats been discussed as ideas in this thread.

http://img79.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... pertd9.swf

Above is a link to the game as far as I progressed with it. Well its not actually a game yet becasue I got bogged down with the game mechanics so I focused on the graphical elements, before giving up on that aspect as well haha.

I still have all my orginal authoring files and given some insentive and maybe some actionscript assistance I'd be more than happy to try and get this game finished.

I think I was on the right track with the games looks, just need to add more elements like jawas, moisture vaps etc and all I really need to do is work on gettin some enemy behaviour figured out becasue the basics for controls, scoring system etc are in place.

Let me know waht you guys think and maybe we can build on this as a MEPD based game, though perhaps there are legal issues which might make it inadvisable. . .Mods want to chime in perhaps.

As long as its free there won't be any problems (just like a fanfilm). A basic shooting gallery was my simple thought since I imagine that a side scrolling jumping/shooting game would be really hard to do in comparison to a static gallery. Ultimately it could be whatever a designer wanted it to be. I don't even know how feasible it is in terms of bandwidth, if it chews it up a bunch I wouldn't want to bother; anyone know about that?

@ eifion, that is neat! I see where your avatar came from.

AI don't even know how feasible it is in terms of bandwidth, if it chews it up a bunch I wouldn't want to bother; anyone know about that?

Seth, I create and host flash cartoons on my site and have never had a bandwidth issue. Flash is incredibly lean in that department. I could make toons all day long, but unfortunately know very little about game programming in flash.