New Bee Stinger

freakengine

Since James (TD8733) presented his idea for using an outdoor faucet cover (big thanks, James!), and we were all discussing the stinger mounting systems, I decided to finish out my own bee stinger in style. It's almost done, but seeing that DirtyDave beat me to the punch with a similar stinger ( ) I thought I'd share my work in progress.

This was made with the same faucet cover James used, the dome from Mike's pack kit, and a homemade aluminum yoke made to resemble the yoke of a 6" fresnel. There's no "antenna" since several pics show the one I'm replicating (the white dial pack) without one.

Now I need to decide what to do with the top, and exactly how I'd like to mount it. I'll probably mount it with a screw through the yoke, but have considered cable ties to keep it from twisting too much. I'd love to hear ideas for the top. I may try attaching the bottom of another faucet cover, but they're bigger at the open end than at the bottom so it's a little problematic.

Pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks guys. I never would have come up with this one without the input and discussions here.

I like the idea of mounting it directly to the boxes, but fear that the leverage from a really good bump might crack the box it's attached to. Maybe not. That plastic has pretty good flex to it.

I think I'll just make a thin styrene plate to paint black and glue onto the top. Has anyone ever seen any indication of what the tops of these looked like? For all I know they were open ended, but I'm sure a curious kid's gonna peek and see the styrofoam. "Hey, this trooper's got a beer cozy!" Hmmm. On second thought, that might not be a bad idea.

@ TD2878 - Yep, I made the yoke out of some 1/8" thick aluminum stock. I just cut it, curved the ends with a grinder, made the bends and drilled the holes.

Where did you get the heavy duty cover from?

I think it's available at most Home Depot stores during the winter months. I live in southern California, so since temperatures never drop below freezing these covers are scarce. I had to order mine here:

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-299-f...ver-113857.aspx