Major Flaw on TE Helmets?

Stormtrooper

Well since the other thread got sidetracked, and has subsequently been locked... I thought I'd post a new thread to see if all TE helmets have the flaw shown below

So here's a big ole' pic showing the left-hand-side of several original ANH/ESB helmets in private collections, compared to 3 TE helmets at the bottom.

Posted Image

The line I'm referring to is the 'ridge' on the back which runs round to where the top of the ear-covers are at the sides... it should be approximately level with the brow trim and top of the eye lenses... but on the LEFT-HAND-SIDE on TE's helmets, the ridge on the back is waaaay too high,

It isn't a trimming issue IMO as it can't be remedied by trimming it differently... it's just down to the way the helmet has been vac-formed.

Not bashing Matt's helmets.. just pointing out something that I thought more people would have noticed!

I've used images from a variety of places for this comparison - if anyone sees a pic that is theirs and wants it removed, just let me know and I'll edit the image

Cheers,

John

Forgive my sillyness but you point out this is on the left hand side is it the same case for the right hand side then ?

Not a silly question at all mate...

No, the problem only exists on the Left-Hand-Side (as if you are wearing the helmet)

The ridge lines up OK on the Right-Hand-Side.... which leads me to believe that Matt vac-formed the helmets incorrectly. Maybe he removed them from the vac-form buck whilst the plastic was still warm and somehow stretched the left-hand-side?

Cheers,

John

Looking at the originals, they seem to be the same way too. not all of them but some,i dont think its a flaw, its just the way the helmet was that he cast from. its a beautiful thing! i have become friends with the guy who made the TE molds and he is mold making mutha. his work is above the bar, a true talent.

I had wondered if it had something to do with the left ear position. I don't know how much sense that makes though. Mine looks more like the pic of the ANH, second row, far right. Its a little above the ear. On the TE2 helmet pictured above the left ear is mounted higher, more like the film helmets, than the bottom row of TE pics.

Greetings gang,

I was very hesitant to join in the first "discussion" thread on helmet comparisons. However, when John included the word "flawed" in the title, I knew my time to step out of the shadows had come.

I have been blessed with the unique opportunity of working with these molds for the past year. When I undertook the endeavor of continuing the TE lineage, I was already well aware of the "Armor Wars" that had been raging for almost a decade.

In the beginning, I knew that TE armor, now rechristened TE2 armor, was not for everyone. And like the different types of armor being offered, it really becomes a very "personal" matter of choice.

I began my own journey into white armor with a set of TK FX armor from California. The TE/TE2 armor that I now speak of is, in my humble opinion, head and shoulders above it. However, FX was a great lesson learned and I took that experience with me when I decided to tackle my first TE armor purchase in 2005.

I DO NOT claim to be an "expert" or to have the breadth of knowledge and or experience that most of you have in matters of props, molds, or plastics. So I am only offering you my own "novice" experience:

1. The first photo shows four TE/TE2 helmets.

Posted Image

a. The first TE2 bucket was completed three days ago for a TD "high brow" appearance.

b. The second TE2 bucket is configured for a TK look.

c. The third TE bucket was one of his first pulls from the molds.

d. The fourth helmet is one of the TE/TE2 "commemorative" helmets that were done last year.

Posted Image

If you draw an imaginary line from the rear of the helmet to the front, you can see that the line would run (just barely in some cases) just above the eye holes. As the plastic is trimmed away, the brow placement can be achieved for a high or low brow appearance (or TK vs TD look). I believe that this unevenness is characteristic of the mold to some degree however, the artist assembling the helmet is a major and probably the deciding factor on the final look achieved.

Posted Image

Even when viewing TE's earliest creation, the plastic was trimmed enough for a TK look. The plastic formed on the molds has been consistent and the only variable has been the artist. Also, the placement of the left ear piece is a "tad" lower than what I would do - different artist, different look.

Posted Image

It is my humble opinion, based on working with these molds, that each stormtrooper or sandtrooper helmet that is born, each is born with it's own unique personality - just like the individuals who choose to wear them. TE mentioned to me last year that each helmet is unique and different. Just like the original screen used helmets I am sure they were different in some way, shape, or form and not an exact copy of each other. (Hmmm, clonetroopers...)

I could never produce an "assembly-line" product. I am a "late-blooming" artist - an artist just like many of you. Each of your art pieces speak for themselves - all the buckets that I have seen in this and the previous thread are beautiful in their own way.

Flawed? I do think it's a matter of one's point of view. I fell in love with TE armor almost two years ago. May I say that God blessed me with this opportunity and I it embrace with both arms.

Aloha & God bless!

T

Tony,

Your humility and willingness to share are quite refreshing, especially for this line of armor and helmets. Thank you for showing pics of your new efforts and good luck with moving in bringing this armor and helmet into a brighter future, hopefully unclouded by the previous nastiness!

Excellent post Guns, I applaud your openness and generosity of spirit

Youre absolutely correct that all the original helmets are different, therefore a mould taken from one specific helmet is going to reflect the characteristics of its “father” to a greater extent. However, like you say all the casts from that helmet will also vary slightly

Keep up the good work

Cheers

Jez

Thanks for posting the pics Guns... when I used the word 'flawed' I was referring to TE helmets, and from the pics that you have posted of your TE2 helmets it seems that this problem is NOT present on your helmets.

In your pics the 3rd helmet in the line-up ("one of the first ones that Matt pulled") I think it's safe to say that it was his trimming and construction that was 'flawed', as it appears to have the ridge-line too high up.

Some of the movie helmets have their left-hand-side ear fixed at an acute angle, and Matt seems to have exagerated this feature on his helmets.

I tried to amend this on my own TE helmet by positioning the ear in a more 'upright' angle which seemed to solve it a bit, but I think now it would have looked better if I had actually moved the ear a fraction of an inch higher up.

Whilst it's true that all original Stormtrooper helmets differed slightly, I still find it strange that Matt couldn't have assembled his helmets to closer resemble the 'BrianR' original helmet that it was moulded from???

Cheers,

John

Thank you Tony for sharing! It really does seem to come down to the ear placement, how high it sits determines the gap. I have owned 1 TE, and currently am lucky to own 2 TE2 helmets. A third TE2 helmet (#1 actually), assembled by Tony passed through my hands before it was gifted to Albin Johnson. Even on his first build the gap was minimal. Sorry this isn't the best pic, but it's the best I have of the left side.

Posted Image

Thank you Tony for sharing! It really does seem to come down to the ear placement, how high it sits determines the gap. I have owned 1 TE, and currently am lucky to own 2 TE2 helmets. A third TE2 helmet (#1 actually), assembled by Tony passed through my hands before it was gifted to Albin Johnson. Even on his first build the gap was minimal. Sorry this isn't the best pic, but it's the best I have of the left side.

Posted Image

CHEEHOO!!!!

I remember this one! You & Mike did a GREAAATTTTT job on it!

T

ePS: Maybe we should be a team!

look what i spotted on a screencap from ANH

Posted Image

i noticed this on TD1536's TE2 helmet (the higher trimming). I've always Loved the high brow Sandtroopers and I was wondering how the extra brow height was achieved, I guess I know now

Just a minor point -

Note that the "super high" brow on "Move Along" was not trimming - it was just wedged in that position (or gaffer taped on the inside)

As demonstrated by my assistant...

Posted Image

Cheers

Jez

ORLY???

Posted Image

T

ePS: Sorry Jez, couldn't resist...