Modified Ab Plate! D.I.Y.

SethB6025

I'm doing this mod this weekend. I've been holding off on working on my armor, because a couple squad mates are going to help out, but I'm really wanting to get some progress on it.

And I get straight lines by cheating- I can't cut a straight line to save my life, so I clamp a metal straight edge down and just follow that.

That works for the keyhole, but what about the ab plate itself? Take some pictures - I wasn't able to make the mod'd second top box work for the back plate so used part of my belt instead (which worked very well).

I ended up using some of the spare ABS from the kit to do it.

For straight lines, mark it with a pencil and take your time. The dremmel at high speed can take off a lot of material rather quickly! It is not a very easy mod as it is in the middle of the ab plate so keeping things straight is difficult as they are all internal edges.

When I did my ab plate and frown holes, I used a 3 step method:

1) Dremmel away/out the larger chunks

2) Swithched to jewelers/modeling files

3) Then to an emery board for finalizing

It takes a bit longer, but you have WAY more control over what you're doing - this is an area where you want to do it right the 1st time.

I ended up using some of the spare ABS from the kit to do it.

This is what I ended up doing for the back plate - had a spare bit of belt I was able to use. I'll redo the keyhole tomorrow based on feedback from the group and will ensure that the edges are straight this time

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but I really like the idea of modifying your own ab plate. Could you (td6025) provide me better pictures of how you made this modification? I tried looking at the pictures in your gallery here, but they're way too small for me to get a better feeling of how you did it.

Thanks!

you can look for reference pictures of how I did mine in my website, just look in Stormtrooper/Armadura for those

Thanks! I checked out the pics, and those were nicely done. However, could it be possible to translate those steps into English? If not I think I might be able to wing it.

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but I really like the idea of modifying your own ab plate. Could you (td6025) provide me better pictures of how you made this modification? I tried looking at the pictures in your gallery here, but they're way too small for me to get a better feeling of how you did it.

Thanks!

I used to have close ups in the photo gallery. At this point, I've lost track of the pictures, unfortunately. If it's any comfort, TD7606 did the exact same thing.