459 AP Armor Build

TK-459

Sanding with the dremel takes practice. I usually set the dremel at about 80% for the sanding wheel and hold it like a pencil. When you get close to your edge use a lighter touch with it. Also, you can at least try to get close to your cut lines and then finish the edge with sandpaper.

• 5 months later...

Time to catch this thread up.

I had to start this armor out as a TK, but knew that I would be reverting to a TD. For this reason, a few of the parts were attached with temporary methods (abplate, ribbed shoulder straps, drop boxes, helmet details, knee).

Test fitting the chest and back sections with tape

Posted Image

Once satisfied, 2" white elastic strips are attached to the chest with e6000, held flat with scrap plastic and clamps. After this sets, I did the same in the back. Some people prefer adjustable shoulder straps...thats really up to you.

Posted Image

I then attached the ribbed straps over the elastic by connecting with industrial velcro on the chest and back plate.

Posted Image

I prefer snaps for most of the armor connections. Here is the upper-armor strapping. I attached an additional length of 2" white elastic strap to each existing strap. The additional lengths have a snap connected to the middle to secure the shoulder straps to. The additional 2" straps were also connected with e6000 for flexibility.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Snaps are either connected to scrap length of abs/sintra (round the corners so it doesn't catch your bodysuit) or directly to the elastic straps. I glue the abs snaps to the armor with Devcon Plastic Welder. The elastic strap snaps are fed through with a micro-screwdriver, and I also use a small about of fabric glue around the hole so that the straps do not friz up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I seperated the back and buttplate for better flexibility. Several 2" black elastic straps (six) are used here. Be sure to leave a small gap so the armor doesn't bind. The increased number of straps (up from three on my last set of armor) help keep the piece better in place while still allowing some movement. The straps are attached with e6000. Masking tape does the job of keeping the straps down while the glue sets without sticking afterwards.

Posted Image

Here is the lower body assembly.

Three white rivets attached through a 2" black elastic strip hold the left side together. There is also a small gap between the front and back parts to avoid rubbing/binding. e6000 also reinforces the elastic strap from the inside. The right is secured with 2 x 2" black elastic straps, top and bottom of the side. Each of these has 2 snaps.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The cod attached with a different style connector. I suggest a firm connector because this part is prone to pop open when you walk.

All legs, arm and thigh pieces are again connected with abs strips. Mine are about 5/8" on the biceps and forearms, 6/8" on the shins, and 7/8" on the thighs. Cut the lip of each to about half the width of the strips. The only open area is the back of the shins, which overlap and connect with white industrial velcro strips.

Posted Image

Here you can also see the snap connector for the thighs that connects to the lower body.

Posted Image

Drop boxes attach with one snap. The other side is attached to the drop box with e6000.

Posted Image

Thermal detonator assembly riveted with the Staples banker clips. I also attached an additional piece of velcro on the inside of the clips and the waistbelt to help keep it in place.

Posted Image

The knee (shown unattached) was secured with one white rivet on each side of the shin. White rivets also secure the right thigh box detail.

Posted Image

looken good man, thoese walmart snaps feel apart on me lol.

Hmm, the snaps work great for me, but I do use more than one on high-stress areas just for backup. One thing to be careful about is mixing and matching sets of the snaps. At some point they changed the packaging and the new ones don't fit well to the old ones. Other than that I have never had a problem and much prefer them over velcro.

Whew, just about caught up here.

Here are my gloves. I use three snaps on the gloves for the hand armor to keep it from wobbling.

Posted Image

The lowerbody also has modified suspenders attached to help secure it.

Posted Image

The front has hidden slits that the suspenders clip into. The back of the slits are reinforced with Devcon Plastic Welder.

Posted Image

Additional elastic snaps are used to secure the chest and back to the lowerbody.

Posted Image

looking really great! well done!

only one thing to add:

if you´re going for the sandy route...well, i hate to say it, but...

you will have to get rid of some of your work, like the TK knee plate, the drop boxes and the ab-buttons for example...

looking really great! well done!

only one thing to add:

if you´re going for the sandy route...well

you will have to get rid of some of your work, like the TK knee plate, the drop boxes and the ab-buttons for example...

Yeah, I planned ahead for that. I made all the TK-specific details removable.