Devcon Plastic Weld- How to find, how to use/how much to buy

Florida_Phil

thanks for the sweet link florida phil!!!!!!!! i guess ill pick some up this weekend how many tubes do you think i need to do a set of armor and the back pack?? guess ill haveto buy the gun and mixing tube too!! great demo video!

-----------------------------------------------

A word about plastic weld...

One thing that is going to pop up fairly quick is "how much plastic welder should you use." Or more accurately, how much should you mix. When applied a little goes a long ways, but when it comes to making it to use...

The tube/syring has two sides, and holds two different chemicals (like epoxy). They are suppose to mix in a 1 to 1 ratio. If they are not in a 1 to 1 ratio, you don't get an optimal bond/optimal set time.

If the plunger cooperates, and you got all the air out after you broke the end camp off, and you push nice and firm, you can mix good batchs that are (in my limited experience) about the size of 2 match heads. Which is enough to say, maybe glue a support strip holding a snap onto armor.

If however the plunger doesn't cooperate or you don't push square/even, or there is air in the mix.... Well then you have to keep adding welder to your mixing (board? scrap of paper? discarded devcon plastic welder package) until the two un-mixed puddles of goo are about the same size.

What I'm trying to say is, if you are doing a small batch, and you are off by say 3 'drops' then it's a big deal. If you are doing a larger batch, and you are off by 3 'drops' it's not such a big deal. Not that plastic weld comes out in drops.

So a LOT of plastic weld can get wasted, just in the interest of making a clean 1 to 1 batch, if you are at all sloppy with dispensing it.

I think I could do a suit with 3 tubes, if I could eliminate the waste/insure an even mix, and that is WITH ANH strips on the front.

I think I ended up using some insane number though, due to mixing problems/being a noob.

For just the armor, try getting 7 tubes. You will find yourself using it later if you have extra. For the backpack, I dunno, I'm still getting started. I'd guess 2 tubes at least? Though I like the idea of using a lot of bolts and nuts with the back pack if possible (along with some purple loctite to keep the nuts from working loose).

--------------

Have you tried http://www.devcon.com/devconfamilyprodu ... milyid=182 They have a search function by zip to find a local distributer.

A lot of people seem to like Devcon, but I've abandoned epoxies in favor of E6000. It sticks to everything and you don't have to mix it. Also, since it remains slightly flexible it prevents failure of the bond. However, I might be talking out of my bum & don't know how to properly use an epoxy.

However, I might be talking out of my bum & don't know how to properly use an epoxy.

Somehow I doubt that

I totally understand where you are coming from with describing your dislike of it, but it seems to do what I want it to do ...

I acutally bought some E6000, and tried it on a less than optimal bond. It didn't work out like I expected, and I reverted back to CA for that particular project. I'll probably give it another shot, but I just don't have experience with the stuff yet.

How much set time do you realistically see with E6000? Seemed a bit long for me (I'm in a high humidity area). Maybe that is part of it?

I use E6000 for things like fabric to plastic. Nothing is stronger. E6000 is also a flexible adhesive, which has it's benefits. You must apply it to both surfaces and let it gel for a few minutes before clamping the two items together. It won't work otherwise. You should also leave the items clamped overnight, which is a downside.

Devcon, on the other hand dries in under fifteen minutes. As long as you apply the correct amount, your bond will be rock solid. DON'T BE SCIMPY! use plenty, just don't use so much that when you clamp things together, it comes gushing out of the seam... some gushing is okay and to be expected, though.

I can easily go through a tube of Devon in two days, which is why I generally buy every tube Wally World has.

Also, Devcon emits some rather pungent fumes when it's mixed. I've managed to kill tons of brain-cells so don't follow my lead. use it in a well ventilated area, outside, or with a respirator on.

Also, Devcon emits some rather pungent fumes when it's mixed. I've managed to kill tons of brain-cells so don't follow my lead. use it in a well ventilated area, outside, or with a respirator on.

You're trying to take away the best part. Is it bad that I get to thinking about that smell sometimes while at work, and not in a bad way but just imagining the smell.

AA joke:

"Hi, I'm TD-4242 and I am an adict." everybody, "Hi TD-4242"

Airplane joke:

"I picked the wrong day to quite sniffing glue"

Yes ABS glue works well. You do want to make sure to pick up the clear kind otherwise it will be dark black and almost impossible to use without making a mess of your armor.

Specilty plumbing shops and Walmart are the only places I've found good clear ABS Cement.

-Bill