started weathering my helmet

tk7602

last night... well, technically this morning... i took the plunge and started the weathering.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

the weathering is airbrushed, using primarily createx "transparent sand" airbrush paint. i sprayed it on, and sanded most off with 400 grit paper. then sprayed it again, sanded again, etc... since the paint is translucent, the layering builds up nicely over time.

at one point i put a layer of light brown in there too, but i ended up sanding almost all of it off, since it was too muddy looking for me.

this weekend i'll be hitting more of the suit. i don't know if i'll get it all done or not, but there's a good chance i might.

that looks very impressiv! i´ve never seen a better airbrushed weathering so far! all other helmet looked kinda too painted, but this looks very real!

very well done, i love to see different weathering techniques!

Hey, I really like that. The control looks great and the dirt looks great too. This is gonna make it hard for me not to try out an airbrush sooner than later. Maybe combined with a little sponge, but I don't know that look has a great dusty look.

Is the brim airbrushed too?

Hey, I really like that. The control looks great and the dirt looks great too. This is gonna make it hard for me not to try out an airbrush sooner than later. Maybe combined with a little sponge, but I don't know that look has a great dusty look.

Is the brim airbrushed too?

the brim didn't show up so well in those pics... this one shows it a bit:

Posted Image

i think i may want to daub on a bit of extra paint there, since the airbrush stuff came off more there than on the abs.

that looks very impressiv! i´ve never seen a better airbrushed weathering so far! all other helmet looked kinda too painted, but this looks very real!

very well done, i love to see different weathering techniques!

thanks! i was trying to think through what would really be happening... sand (paint) flies through the air and gets stuck in different places. wind (sandpaper) comes along and cleans a lot of it off, but some sticks. as time goes on, more scratches form in the shiny white plastoid (abs) helmet, giving more places for sand to stick.

i'm hoping that the look carries over well to the rest of the armor. i'll probably start in on that later tonight, and wrap it up on saturday.

i just dyed my pouches, so now that the supersheen has had time to cure a bit i can attack those with my spray dirt too