FROM CLEAN TO DIRTY-THE MOMENT OF TRUTH-PLEASE HELP!

TK-VADER312

my time is almost here. my journey has led me to this point. My armor is complete (i'll be changing my knee out in a week) my backpack sit's in the corner with my lewis, my rom is all charged up. sandtrooper decals are in the mail. the date is set for the 17th. I believe I have decided to go with non-perminate paint to start with. I need to know whats the best colors to use. looking at blacks, grays, perhaps light brown. I'm unsure if I should weather the whole thing or just spots here and there with pleanty of white. i've heard of fullers earth. where can this be found? I really want to go temp first because i'm scared as **** on this project. The suit is an f/x the bucket is the authentic props abs80 (no bobbleheads here! ). I need advice....and lots of it. please help me!

your brother

TK-9935

501st Legion

I used acrylic paints (burnt umber, raw sienna and yellow urcher) found a local walmart. They were in the crafts isle. Small bottles for .87 cents a piece. They wash off with water very easily. I also used fuller's earth after applying the acylics.

I ordered fuller's here...

http://www.cineshoppe.com/fullers1.htm

I ordered a 3 LB container of Natural and Slate Gray. With shipping it cost $36 and change. A little pricey but awesome stuff! This stuff washes off with water pretty easy as well.

Not that I know of...from my surfing the net anyway. I believe this stuff is made specifically for movie effects and to make stuff look weathered. Not something you would find in a local craft or art store. I checked at several places locally for it before making the purchase from CineShop. Mike has really good pics of weathering on his site. He is the weathering God.

Check his weathering out here...

http://www.tk1536.com/images/High_Res/HoldingE11.jpg

Here's the link to his "sandtrooper" page that has more pics...

http://www.tk1536.com/armor2.html

Use Brak's tutorial!

can the fullers earth be purchased in any local places.

Hi 9935,

I like Brak's tutorial for the most part. Some other things you might try include the following:

-Work your darkest colors in first, working toward the lighter colors, then back again, using less paint with each respective layer.

-Start with all creases and recessed areas, and paint in the darkest brown you plan to use, then wipe it INTO the creases. This will leave you with more believable weathering patterns.

-Don't be afraid to have areas without weathering. The contrast between weathered and non-weathered is what will make your paint job pop.

-Less is more. Don't be tentative with the project, but realize that you can always add more later.

-Trust your own eyes. Weather for what you see in person. No pics that I've seen do justice to really well-done weathering as seen in person. Subtlety washes out in the pics, but believe your eyes. If you were weathering for film or photos, it would be altogether different. Subtlety can be your friend.

-Lastly, if you don't like it when it's dry, start again. Some have weathered their armor three or four times before they're even remotely happy with it.

Good luck, trooper!

-Tom

• 3 months later...

You've probably already finished your weathering but in case you haven't.

I used the water based 'Woodland Scenics' brand of paints, typically used for model train dioramas. Can be found in almost any hoppy shop.

I used primarily 2 'Woodland Scenics' colors for mine:

1) Concrete

2) Raw Umber

with a little bit of W/S 'Earth' color mixed with the Raw Umber in the low spots.

The low dark spots, Raw Umber & Earth color, mixed and thinned 1 part water -2 parts paint, were first dabbed liberally (i.e. wet) and then patted with a towel carefully to feather the edges for a natural looking fade.

Then the 'Concrete' color (really just an off-white shade) was dabbed on the whole of the rest of the armor, using an old hand towel. When you overlap the the 'Concrete' color on top of the dark areas (when dry), you create an artificial 'third intermediate color' that ties it together nicely.

After wearing it for awhile the paint rubs off on the armor's sharp edges and high spots and looks extremely realistic to my eyes. The overall visual effect of these colors is very subtle & understated even in bright sunlight (see pics)

Also, being water based it's easy to touch up or wash off & start over if desired.

Hope this helps someone out there. Good luck.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Aren't you a little short to be a ..........................nevermind.

Great looking armor.

Heh...I KNEW someone would say that!

I'm right at 6' with my armor on and the other trooper in the pic, Duke (TD-4331) is 6' 7" without armor!!!

Also I'm standing on a driveway that slopes downhill and he's uphill from me.....eh, nevermind!

Awesome job hellraiser.

I youse this item.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey that looks fantastic! The Tamiya paint is waterbased...correct?

You got it my friend, its watherbased.

I give it a hair spray job to stay on the armor.

Aren't you a little short to be a ..........................nevermind.

Great looking armor.

I'm right at 6' with my armor on and the other trooper in the pic, Duke (TD-4331) is 6' 7" without armor!!!

Also I'm standing on a driveway that slopes downhill and he's uphill from me.....eh, nevermind!

So you are screen accurate storm trooper size like me bro.

Iam 182 cm, and i think its also 6´.

I think the storm troopers was "around" 180 cm in the movies.

My Membership Liaison: Rhonda Brown - TB1165/BH1165,

had few concerns about my armor before I listed in the 501st as TD.

One being the weathering. she' not sure it is accurate with sandtrooper markings. She was going to check with some Sandtrooper experts.

She said I could also post my pictures here and get some input, as she would accept that as well.

SO HERE I'AM

My weathering I thought was okay because I used TK-409's insructions on my ANH armor.

Some one Please PM me so I can e-mail pics of my armor.

WELCOME TO THE MEPD!!!

there are two alternatives to post pictures. the easiest way is using a online photoalbum like

http://www.photobucket.com

you can upload pictures to their website and there will be links to your pictures to insert in your replies by using the "Img" button!

the other way is using our MEPD gallery section right here and also insert the link in your reply:

http://www.mepd.net/gallery/

Dude you are 6'? Wow! Standing next to him you look like my kid. I am the same height as you. I would definately have short man's disease next to him. LOL!!

Again great looking armor!!

Dude you are 6'? Wow! Standing next to him you look like my kid. I am the same height as you. I would definately have short man's disease next to him. LOL!!

Again great looking armor!!

Heh...Yeah the Duke (TD-4331) is a BIG guy and one of the nicest fellows you ever could meet...but yeah, most troopers look puny next to him!

I'm actually only 5'11" but with the boots and a little foam in the top of my helmet I'm around 6' even.