How to make a cheap Bee Stinger

TD-1536

These instructions have also been added to main tutorial, but here's the latest edition.

Item required: Two Tupperware Pitchers, some extra sheet plastic, the dome that comes in the MH kit, and a antenna or similar thin pole.

This is the gray round thing that hangs at the bottom underneath the radio box. This is just an idea to fabricate this item, please use your own creativity to perhaps make one better. I started with a Vintage Tupperware pitcher. This also came with the top that became the radar dish. Using a Dremel, cut the bottom dome off along with the handle. Paint the bottom of the dome with Krylon Fusion black. Then mask it off with tape and paint it either Country Blue or Slate Gray (both essentially the same colors).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next, attach the small dome that comes with the MH kit. Next, add a long pole, or 'stinger'. I found an antenna from an old Wireless router, which interestingly, folds over, making it easy for transport and less prone to break off. The next part you don't have to do, but it helps to make it easier to attach. On the open end of the Bee Stinger bowl, I cut a round piece of plastic (.80 black HIPS) and attached the dome from another, same Tupperware pitcher (I bought two in one ebay auction). There is a long screw inserted through this then backed with copious amounts of Devcon to keep the screw in place once the dome cap it attached to the main body of the Stinger. Lastly, I cut a small piece of 1/2in. PVC pipe to create a stablizing pole and to hide the screw. Viola!

Posted Image

Thanks for sharing (once again)...great idea!!!!!! I was wondering how I was going to attach the stinger to the pack. I remembered asking you before. You had said to fit it between the bars on the bottom of the frame. Did you keep the small bar on your frame or did you take it off now that you have a bolt to attach it to a main box?

I discovered another alternative for the top portion of the bee stinger...after tinkering around with my tupperware pitcher for the beestinger, I discovered that it's lid fits perfectly on the top portion of the beestinger. This will save troopers from cutting their fingers off trying to cut the bottom portion of another pitcher off and provides the portion that hides the screw that will attach it to the main box instead of adding on an additional piece of PVC. The blue pitcher I used matches Rustoleum American Accents Slate Blue paint perfectly so I only had to tape off and paint the bottom of the pitcher black! Once I get the MH parts, I will have to glue the lid to the pitcher and glue in a screw so it can attach to the main box.

I measured from the bottom up 3 1/4" for the length of my beestinger.

Check out the pic

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

In the pic below, that's the "move along" pack correct? I do not see a left side tube attached to it like the filter pack. Is that so or am I having a case of Ray Charles syndrome tonight? I'm making a move along pack with with the SB boxes and MH parts. That's the only thing I need to make or not make...?

Posted Image

I'm pretty sure there is a small tube on that side, look at some of the ally way screen caps and you'll see it. I's about half the length of the tube on the 'filter/white dial' pack.

Take a look at it on the far right in this screen cap...

http://tk1536.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_ ... ewsIndex=1

It's also the last item I need to add to mine before it's done. Got an event on Tuesday, so I better hurry up!

Your right, it's there. Now I have an idea of it's length! Here is the pic form another post where I mentioned that left side tube. You can see the top of it...Thanks for letting me know about that screen cap!

Posted Image

Good luck in your event!

I'm pretty sure there is a small tube on that side, look at some of the ally way screen caps and you'll see it. I's about half the length of the tube on the 'filter/white dial' pack.

Take a look at it on the far right in this screen cap...

http://tk1536.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_ ... ewsIndex=1

It's also the last item I need to add to mine before it's done. Got an event on Tuesday, so I better hurry up!