Anovos TK to TD WIP help needed please!

Hey everyone in the MEPD!

I am a 501st ANH Stunt TK (TK-58058) and a Bith musician (DZ-58058) of the MidSouth Garrison in the Nashville, TN area. However, this is my first full build myself and I thought I would post some questions if that is ok. 

I have an ANOVOS TK that has been in the box for 4 years and I am excited to make it a sandy first basic then eventually PO.

I am following UKWrath’s build instructions for ANOVOS TK but following the TD CRLs closely and making TD adjustments as I go. 

Anyway thanks in advance as I will post some questions here and I hope to join the dirty boys someday!

Here we go ...

When I applied the cover strips to the thigh pieces they were joined at the bottom and looked great. They were clamped too. After drying the bottom part split fairly wide as you can tell. I am not worried about the right thigh as the ammo pack will cover it but that left one tho ...

I used e-6000 so should I remove the strip (can those snap?) or insert  another piece to fill in the gap?

Thanks guys!

2CBC7A5C-D55B-4AB2-BE74-B133852FF045.jpeg

Second question (sorry to already spam you guys) is related to the traps and tears colors.

The ANOVOS bucket has decals which I haven’t tried removing I first tried painting over them with Humbrol  gloss #5 which I use on my TK ab buttons. 

Is this way to dark or not going to be noticeable after weathering or should I try removing the decals?

I also assume I need to match the teeth gray too if I stay with this gray.  

Thanks guys!

BD5752DE-FC8A-42C1-9FDE-BE888FA29CD9.jpeg

1A18DC5F-2E5D-4DAE-AC65-4883F8DC92F7.jpeg

AF566A2A-A73B-4292-B25F-EF8F7C9880A8.jpeg

Hi mate and welcome to the MEPD, great to hear that you are planning on becoming one of the dirty and deployed troopers. :salute:

The gap on the knee on your left thigh actually isn´t such a problem as gaps are actually quite sreen-accurate, maybe not as big as the one you´ve got but you could make it less noticeable by gluing a strip of white ABS behind.

x4bw8u7o.jpg

8d5m79tr.jpg

If it´s glued with E6000 you could easily take it apart again, just so gently and carefully warm it up and then use an exacto blade to get the coverstrip of the thigh but keep in mind that the coverstrip can´t be used any longer. 

I would suggest you just glue a piece of ABS to the back to make it less noticeable.

Now to your second question: you shouldn´t paint over the decals. If you are aiming for level 2 /PO, all details have to be handpainted (the tube stripes as well) so take these details off and paint them by hand. Humbrol # 5 is the correct grey but you will also have to paint over the teeth again as Anovos obviously has gone for a lighter shade of grey and it doesn´t match.

I hope I could be of some help, keep those questions coming.;)

Cheers mate

• Like 1

If you have a gap under the strips then the two halves of the thighs can be pulled together to close the gap. You will have to remove the strips and start again, but this time use tape over the strips once they have been glued, to hold the parts tightly together while the glue dries. I'm a big fan of gluing the strips to one half of the thigh first, then gluing the other half of the thigh. This guarantees the joining strips are exactly where I want them with no fear of them shifting during the glue drying process. Again, tape must be used to pull both halves together. Don't rely on just magnets or clamps as the parts can shift because of the wet glue.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hausi said:

Hi mate and welcome to the MEPD, great to hear that you are planning on becoming one of the dirty and deployed troopers. :salute:

The gap on the knee on your left thigh actually isn´t such a problem as gaps are actually quite sreen-accurate, maybe not as big as the one you´ve got but you could make it less noticeable by gluing a strip of white ABS behind.

x4bw8u7o.jpg

8d5m79tr.jpg

If it´s glued with E6000 you could easily take it apart again, just so gently and carefully warm it up and then use an exacto blade to get the coverstrip of the thigh but keep in mind that the coverstrip can´t be used any longer. 

I would suggest you just glue a piece of ABS to the back to make it less noticeable.

Now to your second question: you shouldn´t paint over the decals. If you are aiming for level 2 /PO, all details have to be handpainted (the tube stripes as well) so take these details off and paint them by hand. Humbrol # 5 is the correct grey but you will also have to paint over the teeth again as Anovos obviously has gone for a lighter shade of grey and it doesn´t match.

I hope I could be of some help, keep those questions coming.;)

Cheers mate

Fantastic advice I really appreciate it! I will get on it!

4 hours ago, troopermaster said:

If you have a gap under the strips then the two halves of the thighs can be pulled together to close the gap. You will have to remove the strips and start again, but this time use tape over the strips once they have been glued, to hold the parts tightly together while the glue dries. I'm a big fan of gluing the strips to one half of the thigh first, then gluing the other half of the thigh. This guarantees the joining strips are exactly where I want them with no fear of them shifting during the glue drying process. Again, tape must be used to pull both halves together. Don't rely on just magnets or clamps as the parts can shift because of the wet glue.

I used magnets and clamps as well as tape BUT, like you said, they pulled away anyway. I think also they way I hung them to dry put pressure on both sides to pull apart.

I never thought about doing once side only GREAT ADVICE THANK YOU!

• Like 1

Great advise from Urs and Paul, I just want to add to that by saying if you do plan on removing the strips use something like a paint scraper, gently lift/lever the strip (but not too much or it will crease) as you gab the joint, slowly work your way down the joint, a side to side action can also help to separate the parts.

I also have an anovos, I removed the black paint on the vocoder by rubbing it with isopropyl alcohol (called rubbing Alcohol in US I believe), could be useful for removing the decals too maybe on your lid :duim:

On 4/18/2020 at 7:45 AM, welshchris77 said:

Great advise from Urs and Paul, I just want to add to that by saying if you do plan on removing the strips use something like a paint scraper, gently lift/lever the strip (but not too much or it will crease) as you gab the joint, slowly work your way down the joint, a side to side action can also help to separate the parts.

I also have an anovos, I removed the black paint on the vocoder by rubbing it with isopropyl alcohol (called rubbing Alcohol in US I believe), could be useful for removing the decals too maybe on your lid :duim:

Thank you! That literally was my next line of questioning . . . how to remove the darn decals!

• Like 1