My new "pack"back in progress. Lots of pictures

runJEDIrun

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

On the black (upper) main box, what is that 'part' you are using on the right side of the blue bottle??

It's another part that I sculpted from scratch and vac-formed. However, the base is cut plastic and I need to build up the small 'wells' on the four corners where the screws reside.

Mike what are you useing for the MVU mate?

Four Tupperware Hamburger stackers with the lip removed. The dome and everything else I scuplted and vac-formed.

oooooh! maybe thats why it looks weird on mine. good call. did you just xacto knife it off?

Using this picture as a reference,

Posted Image

Assuming that the main boxes Seth made are the correct size, and assuming that the dimensions of the Radio face plate Seth came up with are also correct, looking at the above picture, one would have to say the bread box shouldn't be more than approx. 8.5 in long x 6in wide.

We'll keep looking...

I checked my notes from when I did the first set of scale drawings, and I came up with an averaged dimension for the move along pack "tupperware" box of approx 9x6. So, I'm going to disagree with myself on my 11" comment and agree with Mikes comment. Also, as far as the accuracy of my dimensions; they are exact. This is an inarguable fact which no one can contest. If they do, they are wrong, and a liar. Sorry; I couldn't help myself. While I retain my perpetual skepticism (as any proper scientist should) I am faily confident of the numbers I came up with. If I had to assign a "tolerance" (to the main boxes) I'd say that they should be within 1/4"-1/2" to the real thing, depending on which axis we're talking about. Of course, as research continues I reserve the right to revise my views as seen above. If I'm not mistaken, Mike's radio box is very close in size to what I came up with (I feel better about the numbers when multiple people independently come to similar results) and his looks fantastic! Hopefully my "sergeant" radio box will turn out as nicely.

If I'm not mistaken, Mike's radio box is very close in size to what I came up with (I feel better about the numbers when multiple people independently come to similar results) and his looks fantastic! Hopefully my "sergeant" radio box will turn out as nicely.

I can't wait til some of these radio boxes are available to purchase. I really envy you guys having the space to set up a vacuform table. I'm afraid my gf would freak if I converted our dining room table in our apartment.

I'll post some pics of my "metro" table. If you use your oven as a heat source & a shop vac you can have a table that takes up very little space. However, to do the more efficient and super-awesome flip table like crashmann has, one needs just a bit more space than an apartment affords.

I'll post some pics of my "metro" table. If you use your oven as a heat source & a shop vac you can have a table that takes up very little space. However, to do the more efficient and super-awesome flip table like crashmann has, one needs just a bit more space than an apartment affords.

Yeah, we thankfully have the Crashmann in our ranks... otherwise we'd get nothing done.

Believe me, Seth, I've looked into it. I used to do vacuforming when I worked in a scene shop (we would mainly vacuform architectural elements). It's just that, living in an apartment in LA, storage space is minimal. I wouldn't even have space for the shop vac!

-Tom

Praise and appreciation will get you very far in life Thanks! But it's really a team effort with Seth's exacting eye for photo analysis to size up the parts, and Mike's amazing sculpting ability to create the parts.

I'm actually working up a smaller rig for prototyping smaller parts (no need to waste a huge 24" x 32" sheet of plastic for small backpack parts, etc...) The new vac table is based on Ralis Kahn's Halloween Fear Vac table tutorial

So far I've got the base built with all the wiring except the oven. Tonight I mounted the forming platen with screws and globs of silicone caulk

Posted Image

Next up, the vertical angle bars, and wiring in the oven. The whole thing will stand 3' tall, and the forming plate will take plastic sheets 13.5" x 18.5" so it will be relatively compact.

Charlie

TD wanna-be

i know absolutely nothing about these parts or the part being questioned, but if i were to guess at what it might have been originally arranged from i would think maybe i piece off of a household vacuum such as something like these VACUUM PARTS

it ALMOST looks like all of the "elusive pieces" for the move along trooper pack. maybe this might help steer things in the right direction as far as learning what they might have originally been.

i might even argue that this is the piece or a version of what you are asking about specifically if the brushes were ripped off.

ELUSIVE PART?

"But i have been known to make mistakes...from time to time"

Phil,

I looked at all those vaccumm attachments at just about every store, too. No joy.

I'm thinking the entire device (the bellows and adjacent tubes) is some sort of manifold intake/filter... but from what, I have no idea. I honestly believe all the parts came togther as a whole, and are a 'found part'.

If I could have two wishes, they would be: A. Find the real radio. B. Find the real manifold intake.

I've already gone so far as to cold-email vintage military radio collectors trying to get any ID on the radio at all. So far, nothing.