Jump to content
Lee_C_77

Packs for swat

Recommended Posts

Hi 

I'm looking at going for SWAT later on this year. I'm starting with a new pack but want to get it right first time. 

Ive noticed on Ginos and Striders recent builds that there are a few things that stand out and was wondering if these need to be done. 

1) They have both left the red fabric parts on the frame. Do we need to keep these?

2) On the Brexton boxes, the left side is not fully painted. Should this be replicated or just painted black? I'm not sure if it's just a reflection  

3) On the Gio Style bracket, one of them is painted, the other is not. From reference pics, it looks to be left unpainted. Any opinions?

4) Are we still ok to put the aluminium bars for the seed trays to fix to the frame? I'm not sure how durable tywraps are going to be  

 

Thanks, and great work on the builds  

 

Lee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Lee,

great to hear that you're aiming for SWAT with a backpack. Most troopers try to avoid that these days ;-)

The challenge for SWAT is that there are no clear cut CRL other than to resemble the troopers on screen as close as possible. Moreover, it is an unwritten rule that with each application the bar is raised higher incorporating the additional research and findings of this application. That said, there are certainly limits and availability of parts also comes into play. Generally our DO makes the decision what is acceptable for SWAT and what isn't but this is my opinion:

1) No, not required but certainly a nice touch :)

2) This can be painted black. Gino and I just like to be uber accurate ;-)

3) Not sure which bracket you're referring to but basically it's all about reference pictures

4) Hm, tough one. Personally I would rather like to see a pack without bars but that decision is up to Felice and Scribbler.

Hope that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im with ya Lee! pack me up for swat too!! I know it's subjective, case by case and evolves but if we could get felice or scribbler to chime in on the cross support bars. I am almost at the point of starting a build and would hate to have the base be wrong :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. 

Regarding the bracket, it's the one that holds the canteen to the seed tray. The metal one. If we're going from reference pics then I'll not paint it. 

I agree that we need some clearer guidelines though regarding the metal bars. I really don't want to start this build and change it half way through. 

From an accuracy point of view, I think we're nearly there. 

We can get the original siphons, casts of a Sonix, original frame, brexton boxes and super accurate trays. All we need to do is figure out what they used for the exhaust port and we're there!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Lee_C_77 said:

Thanks guys. 

Regarding the bracket, it's the one that holds the canteen to the seed tray. The metal one. If we're going from reference pics then I'll not paint it. 

I agree that we need some clearer guidelines though regarding the metal bars. I really don't want to start this build and change it half way through. 

From an accuracy point of view, I think we're nearly there. 

We can get the original siphons, casts of a Sonix, original frame, brexton boxes and super accurate trays. All we need to do is figure out what they used for the exhaust port and we're there!!!

 

That bracket does look pretty black to me...

11128482_10153165204409004_3086420383900

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know. That photo has had an awful lot of filtering added to it  

Looks silver on here  

IMG_1662_zpsutzx7sxz.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if you look at this photo before any filtering was added then the side of the Brexton box looks very different. 

IMG_1663_zpsugytptfq.jpeg

 

Don't think I'm picking fault, because your pack is superb. I'm just saying that does SWAT require reference of actual movie screen caps or ones that have had filtering applied?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries, thorough research is what SWAT is all about.

Re the right side bracket, to me it still looks black on that picture. A little bit of the black is rubbed off so you can see just a little bit of aluminum shining through.

I know the other picture you posted but I'm not sure what's going on there. I suspect it's from a scene just a few minutes later where they added some additional tape.

On the unfiltered pictures below you can see the pattern pretty good. Also on the second one you can see the left black bracket pretty well.

Screenshot_2017-06-11-21-44-37_zps8xpx6j

Backpack_Reference_08_zpsnjwtzabu.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Strider

Good point. So regarding Swat, as long as there are pictures to back up whatever you do, you should be fine?

What would be great, is a 4K version of ANH! And someone having access to an original pack at Lucasfilm! If they still exist!

Im just waiting on some seed trays so I should make a start in the next couple of weeks. It would be nice to get a yes or no on the bars on the frame though. 

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lee_C_77 said:

Hey Strider

Good point. So regarding Swat, as long as there are pictures to back up whatever you do, you should be fine?

What would be great, is a 4K version of ANH! And someone having access to an original pack at Lucasfilm! If they still exist!

Im just waiting on some seed trays so I should make a start in the next couple of weeks. It would be nice to get a yes or no on the bars on the frame though. 

 

Thanks

Yep, exactly. As long as you can back up something with references you're covered. But too often it's not quite that easy because even in a particular scene the setup keeps changing (e.g. the pre- and post break move along trooper).

4k would definitely be great but it remains to be seen if that would really improve the clarity or just blow up the number of pixels. In any event, the packs were all destroyed right after shooting - unfortunately even in the LFL archives they don't exist anymore.

The only accurate replica trays out there atm are the ones that Ross (RWA) just casted based on the originals. Afaik he used 2mm hips which should be durable enough to hold them with zip ties as well. But if you decide to make the version with bars my hunch would be that it would be accepted - but I can't guarantee that ;-)

 

Cheers

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Strider

 

Im just waiting on a set of the new trays, then I can get started. I've got everything else I need, apart from spare time!

Regarding the bars on the frame, I've got a couple of ideas that I need to check once I have the trays. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im very intrigued about having no bars across the pack frame.

How exactly do you zip tie the packs to the frame? Where are the connection points located on the fram? On the the seed trays?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, clonecollector said:

Im very intrigued about having no bars across the pack frame.

How exactly do you zip tie the packs to the frame? Where are the connection points located on the fram? On the the seed trays?

>>>

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...