Great Stuff to Stop Feedback from Speakers?

TD1043

I read over in the 501st forum that some people have used the product known as Great Stuff to prevent feedback from their speakers. Has anyone here used it in their helmets? I am VERY interested in trying this in my helmet, but I'm just a bit concerned that if I don't like it how hard will it to be to remove the stuff from inside my bucket. Supposedly it will stop all feedback that comes from having your volume turned up on your speakers, and by having this in there you can turn your volume up all the way without that irritating feedback. I know that with my setup I can only turn my volume up just about halfway, and people have a hard time hearing me.

Thoughts?

I've used it as soundproofing in the walls of a sound studio, but never in a helmet. It's an excellent sound deadening material, but it's difficult to control when applying since it comes out of the nozzle as foam and it swells up. To effectively control where it goes, you pretty much need to create a baffle and squirt the stuff inside that area.

As far as removing it, it sticks very well, but is essentially a hard foam when it cures, so it's possible to carve and shape it after it's cured. YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...

I did what Mike (TD1536) did by using the insides of paint caps and hot glued them in. It worked out great! Here's his link (go to the wiring up the helmet section)...

http://www.tk1536.com/armor.html

BTW - Thanks Mike for putting that out there!

Harry

ah! Cool... because it didn't work so great for me. Then again, I probably didn't wire it up the best way, dunno. Eventually, one of the speakers stopped working for some reason, which allowed me to crank up the volume even more on the one remaining speaker, making it actually louder all around.