Chat about Set for Stun FG helmets

Stormtrooper

Interesting concept Matt, but it's a shame IMO that it's one piece fibreglass construction... are the ears and brow trim moulded into the helmet or seperate pieces?

Was it a 3D scanner that made the master for the mould? Preseumably it wasn't able to capture the bumps and imperfections of the original movie helmet?

Personally speaking I prefer the bumps and dimples of other movie-cast helmets, but there are some folks out there who like the smooth 'idealized' look of Armor FX, GF etc. so who knows?

Cheers,

John

Personally I love the fact that it`s a one peice build as it gives exact assembly of the original,down to the very last millimetre.If you started messing with stuff like the brow trim then you would have to alter the shape of the front of the helmet as the faceplate and cap are separated by the brow trim.It could be done but could also mess up a **** fine helmet.Just look at the oakley crap for an example.

Apart from the bumps(which are more subtle on the set for stun helmet than TE`s first.) this helmet would look identical sitting next to the original.Besides we already have plenty of cast from original vac-formed helmets.It`s time for something new.

Cheers,

Ben

If you wanted the bumps, couldn't you spray it lightly with some sort of textured paint like a light coat of "popcorn ceiling" spray, sand it down a bit to smooth it out somewhat before painting the final white?

I would think something could be done.

A lot of people on ebay always say that fiberglass is "brittle and warps over time" but if laid correctly it's sturdy as ****. If your mold is warped, then your finished piece will be warped but I've never had it just happen on it's own.

In regards to the comment of this being the "best helmet out there", I have to strongly disagree. Everyone has their opinions, but mine is that a fiberglass trooper helmet is just silly especially when they were all vac formed in the films. Bold claims require bold proof.

See this thread for a full explaination:

http://www.sandtrooper.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1439

There are a lot of people who just aren't informed about what makes a helmet accurate. The first post of this for sale thread made a claim that as a fellow trooper helmet enthusiast could not go unchallenged. Rather than just post negative comments, I offered a link so that people can view and see for themselves what the original helmets were supposed to be like. For that kind of $, I would want to know the differences. Not everyone is a trooper expert. Not trying to start a flame, just trying to be helpful.

ok

but i have one question i can´t find the answer

often saw the lines on the tube of the back

what´s the origin?

i think it´s a two piece mold for better removing after pulling

connected together and put some tape over the connection line

and when i saw the line of the TE stun helmet i think they forget the tape while pulling

is this right?

There are lines (bumps and texture) all over the surface of the cap back on all the original helmets. It was part of the mold and is why you see the exact bump/texture pattern in all the same places on all the film used helmet. Like star constellations. Ugly, yes but that's truly how they were and if you want a helmet to look completely authentic, they need to be there.

See the link I posted a few posts ago. There's a good pic of what the back cap should look like.

On the fiberglass helmet being offered in this thread, the bumps/texture have been removed.

yes gino

i know

the only thing i mean is the line over the tube on the back

this part is different on some of the screen used helmets

and i think my theorie is right

the dome and the back was formed as a one piece mold

maybe after first pulls they run into problems while removing the pulls from the mold

so the cut the mold apart right over the backtube

but thats only my theorie

have a look on your helmet

doesent the texture at this part looks a lil bit like a tape or something similar?

doesn`t it look like they forget this tape you can see in this area on this TE fiberglass bucket and his original?

hm

who knows?

the only persons who can know this has forgotten some details over the years

The fiberglass helmet is a nice looking display piece and is very cool.

But for me a trooper helmet has to be vac formed and be made from the 4 main sections and with rubber brow trim.

If i had one of those fiberglass helmets, i would probably paint it to look like it was made from bronze or something.

Gino's replicas look fantastic and are THE best so far IMO. I would love to see one of Gino's stunts made from HDPE

I disagree though that all the original helmets had all those bumps in the same places. I've seen the "move along" helmet in person and it had quite a smooth cap/back. Infact compared to the "stop that ship" helmet the "move along" cap/back was super smooth. It didn't seem to be a softer pull either, so maybe the mold was cleaned up a bit....who knows.

Keith.

The helmet could not be taken apart as it had the foam inside still glued and a little known fact that only someone that owned this helmet would know: the lenses were glued to the sockets.. so the choice became no choice. Had to be a one piece. hands down.. only a fool wold have taken this one apart. The first one I owned was missing the foam inside so no biggie...

Also since the helmet was identified, I thought it best to leave it alone and not mess with the shape and look of the brow. so, no worries.. If you dont like it dont buy. But, overall it has the most crisp face on the originals I have seen around the eyes and tear areas... vocoder too.

I also found the real helmet in one more scene, the opening raid.. trooper on the far right when four coming into camera firing at the fleeing rebels.. that makes this helmet used and identified more than any other to date.

Matt/STE