AP Armor.

TD 8733

I just got my new AP armor in. Can anyone that has trimmed this armor tell me what they used? I was planning on using my Dremel but was not sure what cutting tool to use?

Thanks, Ross

I just finished a set of AP myself.

I wouldn't use a high speed cutter (dremel)....wayyyy too easy to slip & make permanent mistakes.

Just use a utility knife (razor blade) and take your time.

All you need to do is score it along the lines and it snaps easily and accurately along your cuts.

Just sand the edges or use a dremel with sanding wheel to fine tune after scoring/snapping but under no circumstances would I use a dremel to cut/trim the pieces initially.

Just my .02

In my ignorance I tried using a dremel to trim some styrene holsters I bought. Now they're $50 worth of scrap plastic. Yes, definately use the method above.

Even better, draw the line with a pencil or marker, clip a steel ruler to said line, and cut against that.

I've developed a steady hand with the Dremel. If you're nervous about trying that, definately go for the score & crack method. Just make sure to make several light passes, if you put too much pressure on the blade you're likely to slip and cut you or your armor. I'm glad you like the boxes!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been working on trimming an AP kit for a few days now. I've tried the cut and crack method, and it's just too ******* the slow curves. I've got a pair of heavy tin snips, but it seems to twist the ABS a bit as the blade moves through it.

I've ended up using a dremel with this:

Posted Image

I've been through about 5 or 6 of them so far, as I tend to accidentally set the dremel down when I'm done on an un even surface and the disks crack and snap really bad when they are hot/have been used.

I face the side where the screw secures the disk towards the part of the plasti c I intend to keep. That way if I'm not paying attention, and the chuck of the dremel bumps the surface, it's the surface of the scrap ABS.

I run around 8 for the speed on my dremel (it’s a 400 XPR), and I press the disk perpendicular into the ABS, using about 1/5 of the disk cuts for curves, easing the dremel back from the cut line as I put it in.

If the dremel 'gets' crazy, then the way I hold it causes it to jump away from the armor and into the scrap pieces. I tried the metal cutter on someone’s suggestion, where you use the dremel almost like a router, and I'm VERY glad that I tried it on a scrap piece first.

Anyway, I’m a new guy, so take what I say with a grain of salt . It was my first armor ever, and I probably spent 3 or 4 hours using a hobby knife to get the first hand piece out. But now that I feel comfy with the dremel, and the method I use I probably trimmed the cod plate in less than 5 minutes.

I’m still sanding and assembling, so wish me luck!