Need some ATA helmet tips

OnlineJeff

I have searched, read, watched videos, etc. and honestly become a bit compulsive about the stuff that I'm building...

I've got the helmet all trimmed except for the eyes and teeth.

One side of the helmet matches nicely.

The other side is not as good of a fit.

The bottom edges don't line up - do I just taper / trim them?

Front view: The brow is trimmed almost to the bottom line of the traps - maybe 1/8" inch below

20140806_0742461_zpsf5e78ca7.jpg

Here is a side view. I felt like I was leaving too much on the dome / cap at the bottom but now that it is fit together, I have a notable difference on the bottom edges. Also, this side isn't as snug in the cheek area as the other side.

20140806_0742311_zps8f60d82f.jpg

Along the bottom, the tube on the face is misaligned about a half inch compared to the bottom of the dome.

Do I trim this or do the ears and neck seal just blend over this? Any advice is appreciated. Sharpie used for scale...I would say about a half inch.

20140806_0744571_zpsb53b93c4.jpg

The other side - which is a lot more lined up and flush...

20140806_0743081_zps3814897e.jpg

Bottom view:

d5d2091b-b3e3-4f55-b970-2c5f7ea50fa7_zps

Do I just need to slide the face up and tilt the cap further back maybe? The magnets are such a pain and slide around so much this was the best I could get last night...

It looks like the face should be pushed in some so there's more overlap at the edges of the face plate to cap/back area. Some kits have more overlap than others, but needs enough for the ear piece fasteners to have a little margin on the face piece. And I'd concentrate more on the overall look of the face being somewhat ventered(as I don't think there is a perfect center due to assemetry) and how you want the brow positioned. You could trim some around the bottom to transition some of this away. The look changes a lot once the ears are on, and really helps to make things look right. Long story short though, be happy with the upper features and settle on the bottom.

The left side won't stick out as much due to the warping. Definitely trim away on the bottom. You have a good 1/4" at the front and you can smooth that in to the sides. I cut as much as I can that still looks good on mine. Makes it easier to take it on and off. Especially when suited up and with a mic on your head.

By "snug in the cheek" do you mean how the front and back fit together? If so then it's no worries. The ears will cover up any gap.

Thanks for the input.

As suggested, I'm going to push the face back a little further into the dome / cap and trim that 1/4" that I left of the bottom of the face to give me a little more room to get the helmet on and off.

Thanks

• 1 month later...