Can you tell the difference on initial exam?

longboard8

There is actually a very informative thread comparing AP/ATA, RS, and TM at whitearmor.net in the Hard Armor section towards the top. I cannot answer your questions on assembly, troing, etc, but I can help you understand the differences.

AP/ATA stands Out to me, but I pick up on details like that more easily now. Average joe on the street isnt going to pay attention, unless maybe you are side by side with another. However I notice a few things: narrow torso and body armor, smaller shoulders, both leaving more black on the suit. The helmet is a little taller and skinnier looking too. The detail lines arent as sharp as with TM and RS, especially TM.

TM looks production line quality, and it looks fantastic for the idealized trooper. It is a fantastic looki g kit that holds together well, according to reports. I was initially going this route with my ESB and then TD, until someone pointed out a few differences between TM and on screen pics. I think his armor suit (not including the helmet) looks the best and fits the body best. The helmet is my second favorite, and its my favorite idealized one.

Since I am now going TD, I decided the bumpiness and wonkiness of an original cast is fitting. I have decided to go with RS props, which i consider to be the wonky equivalent to the idealized TM. The primary differences I see in these two armors are the shins and the Helmet. The shins on TM are very shapely and curved to fit. The RS shins are sort of bulkier like the thighs, which doesnt bother me personally. If you fit the shins correctly, they can look more fitting. The helmet won me over from TM to RS, after speaking wit two guys who have owned both. Thru a side by side comparison, you see the RS has a slightly larger, screen accurate look, mainly in the side profile. The face has less of an angle, skinnier tubes at the bottom, and the chin comes down lower. This is accurate to ANH. RS offers PVC and ABS. I am still deciding on this. PVC is whiter, ABS is more off white. Both are very flexible, but PVC may be more prone to breaking on falls. The jury is still out.

Both TM and RS make very high quality kits for two different troopers, idealized and wonky. You cant go wrong with either for sure. TM recommends ATA for those who cannot afford his, and it is the most widely used armor, so its certainly not a bad choice.

I don't think Abs is easy to break really.

And fair warning, once I build out a TM, I won't be a party to these discussions. I'll be grinning , or frowning, ear to ear while I'm trooping. You guys can have this back and forth. I'll be planning for Disney StarWars Celebration.

someone pointed out a few differences between TM and on screen pics.

Care to point out the differences to me please? I would love to know what they are.

Regarding comments about plastics, you cannot say one definitive thing about ABS or PVC as there are so many grades available. My acrylic capped ABS will snap completely in half if you bend it too far but my regular ABS will just bend, even crease to a sharp edge if you stand on it. PVC pipes are a totally different grade of PVC compared to forming grade PVC. They all have different characteristics and until you have each one in hand to test you cannot say one is better than the other.

What I can say having formed with a number of different grades of ABS and PVC is regular ABS in 1.5mm is the best for armour. It is lightweight and flexible, much more flexible than PVC.

someone pointed out a few differences between TM and on screen pics.

Still waiting to hear what the differences are?

I think you have been mislead. I can show you how most of the RS does not match the original screen used armour. Let me hear what you think the differences are between TM and LFL armour so I can show you how wrong you are.

Hahahaha I can tell you the difference between a screen suit and a TM. The TM has nothing to do with a real suit.Period. It's a fan suit and nothing more. And the biggest thing I notice straight away even with my eyes half closed is that the TM is way over defined and way sharper than any screen suit. Yes there are issues with the RS but even if it is 5% accurate that's still more lineage than your suit will ever have. Also I've followed ALL the changes in your suit over the years. Yes I've watched from the very begging and it's funny how various things have changed to match the RS suit recently. I have no interest in arguing with you over it and i like your suit but I just don't like the way you look down on people who know less. Yes your knowledgable about troopers but you remind me of TE sometimes especially when a bit of competition comes along.

I want to know what has been said about the differences between my armour and the LFL armour so I can show whoever how it does match. Whether you like me or not is irrelevant. I know armour and I know how things should look so when anyone says something is off then I would like to know what they think is wrong so I can show they are not.

RS is not competition. If they were, I would not have given them parts to use with their armour.

Ok then.Shape wise your armor is pretty close. Surface texture wise your armor is nowhere near the original armor. There are lumps and bumps you can map all over the original armor and not just on the surface but on each edge of armor pieces.The helmet alone has thousands of bumps on the cap/back, faceplate and also various bumps on the ears.Imposisble to replicate without recasting an original.I think RS has done a great job considering what they had to work with was incomplete armor pieces and a suit that has showed age by some peices flattening out over time. Also the fact that they couldn't pull peices apart to cast. The suit I have from the boys is their prototype and contains doubled parts and the surface texture just like their original and flattened parts as I didn't want any alterations.

If your wondering,then no it's not me speaking out against your armor. I like your armor and think that if people choose it over the RS then thats fine. But it seems as soon as somebody says RS is better you get all defensive.A true artist lets his work speak for itself.

Ben

Someone said they could see my armour did not match the original armour so I would like to hear what they think the differences are, that's all. If they can see differences in TM armour then they should be able to see all the differences in the RS armour that do not match the original armour, and there are many more, believe me.

I know the original armour has all the bumps, nicks, warping etc. I have been lucky enough to handle the original RS armour a coupe of times, but thanks for the reminder.

Hahahaha I can tell you the difference between a screen suit and a TM. The TM has nothing to do with a real suit.Period. It's a fan suit and nothing more. And the biggest thing I notice straight away even with my eyes half closed is that the TM is way over defined and way sharper than any screen suit. Yes there are issues with the RS but even if it is 5% accurate that's still more lineage than your suit will ever have. Also I've followed ALL the changes in your suit over the years. Yes I've watched from the very begging and it's funny how various things have changed to match the RS suit recently. I have no interest in arguing with you over it and i like your suit but I just don't like the way you look down on people who know less. Yes your knowledgable about troopers but you remind me of TE sometimes especially when a bit of competition comes along.

Are you trolling? Nothing to do with a real suit? And you're saying you don't want to argue?

I think the original statement was not done with the intention of trolling, at least that is how it looked like.

Also, think troopermaster is more than entitled to ask for a clarification about the statement said about his armor.

If all that can be said about the statement and the request to clarify is about lumps, the whole discussion makes no sense since everyone with a little background in the hobby knows why a helmet kit has lumps and why another doesn't. So the discussion is irrelevant.

If there is something else to be said, maybe try to follow the conversation but paying attention to the original poster question or start a new thread.

Saludos.

Just to make it clear...

No trolling or flaming will be allowed here.

Whatever guys I'm no troll. I've been into troopers for way over 10 years now.Paul knows who I am. If you must know I identified the set for stun helmet and also the ESB patch helmet on screen. I just find Paul's comments sometimes condescending towards anyone who says his armor is not the best and that's all.Point being that Paul asked for clarification as second time and said he will prove him wrong. Meaning he's not even open to debate.I'll leave it at that.

Ben

No Prob Ben, I know who you are, and know Paul too.

I do anyway need to make the point to all forum users to follow the rules.

As I said, the discussion may go on, if answers make sense with what the OP asked.

If you guys want to start a different thread for discussing this, be my guests!

Saludos.