Realistic Caps for Ice Tube??

maj_hassel

I'm almost finished putting together the components for a pack and I'm curious if the Ice Tube I bought months ago is the way to go.

It seems to have the right diameter but the caps are obviously different from the on-screen caps. The detonator plate I have (AP) came with a cut of PVC pipe which has a diameter of (approx) 2 1/2" or 6 cm. It seems a bit thin to me.

Are there custom vacformed caps that will fit on an Ice Tube? If any of you used PVC pipe instead I'm curious as to what size you used. If any of you used the Ice Tube I'm curious as to what solutions you came up as far as the ends are concerned.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Ok I have been meaning to ask this question for a while now...

Is there any reason you couldn't use the end caps from the thermal canister on the mortar tube as well as the detonator plate?

To me they look perfectly accurate and they fit perfect too.

I've heard some say the mortar tube should be 2.5 inch PVC and that looks too big to me.

The screen shots I have look to be 2 inch tubes.

The screen used tubes look much bigger than 2" to me.In UK,we currently use 68mm (2 3/4") PVC pipes and these look to much more like the right size.The armour was made in UK so I would imagine that this is the pipe that was used,although I cannot say if this is the exact same size that was available in 1976.

I use this size pipe in grey for my CO2 cannisters and after doing much studying and sizing up I'd say that this is the right size at 2 3/4".The CO2 cannisters and the mortar tubes are the same size and use the same end caps and control panel.I will get a pic up soon and show you.

I use the Alvin Ice Tube, too, but cut it down to a width of 2.5in. A bit a PITA, but I'm glad I did it in the long run. I made the end caps out of thin sheet styrene. Not vac-formed, but just cut to shape.

I use the Alvin Ice Tube, too, but cut it down to a width of 2.5in. A bit a PITA, but I'm glad I did it in the long run. I made the end caps out of thin sheet styrene. Not vac-formed, but just cut to shape.

I think I might go the same route. I already bought the Ice Tube anyway, right?

Besides having the Ice tube as opposed to a length of PVC pipe hanging off the pack will make a significant difference in regards to weight.

Thanks for the tip!!