Another film on/for fans

Joe Versku

Looks pretty cool.

Hope it ends up being as real and close to fans as the teaser seems to be.

I have very string thoughts against Heart of en Empire.

For you about to watch it, maybe dont read this just yet.

---------

---------

---------

---------

---------

---------

---------

---------

But...

I do feel it was a very bad writing, very bad directing, even worse editing and the worst story telling I have seen in a documentary in years.

It takes advantage of the subject to be documented and present them (us) in a ridiculous way.

It then does it again showing all the very dark side of an individual (who happens to be the founder of the subject club) and throw it out there without a careful storytelling, or showing the brighter side of that specific chapter of his life. Yes, I think it takes Albin to a place where you start to understand why he did this, and then thows him down to the mud, showing all that life crisis and puting his detractors in front of the camera, then just leave it there. No conclusion, no letting him reply just... a lot like what the guy in Ferenheit 911 does with Charlton Heston.

Then, just skips to take advantage of a guy whos son just died, that yes, he loved SW and there are lots of nice things said about Lucas and LFL and the 50st, but he is obviously taking advantage of a fathers tragedy to bring public to his show. It is quiet easy to make ppl cry and move them.´Just like any childrens fund commercial on TV. But it is very difficult to give a good take away after that drama, and Heart of an Empire does not do that.

Not to take in consideration how he presents lost of people who make fun of the legion, the fans and even the saga to set up his movie, but never goes back to ask those people if they still agree or not after developing his hipotesis.

Most of all, I think he wanted to make this documentary for the wrong reasons. He did not believed in what he was shooting or writing. It does feels like he did it on a comision, and he actually says something about not believing that this "world" would have anything good about it. You can tell, he makes fun of his subject almost every time. Editing in his stupid jokes, and editing out honests replies I am sure .

I do not care if we are cool or not, or if we appear to be cool or not. I really cant understand why a documentary can be so badly written and editing... unless of course, the documentary is not about the Legion or the fans or the club. It is a documentary about the filmakers prejudices and his ideas about that club. And how HE changes his mind near the end of the shooting. But then that is not a documentary, at least not a honest one.

I have seen the movie dozens of times, but just beacuse I like to see and hear what our brothers and sisters think of the club, not because it is a good movie.

My 2 cents on that.

Sorry for derailing and sorry for the ranting.

Saludos.

No offence taken, brother. Great to have those points made and I'll bear it in mind when watching the docu. It won't sway my own objectivity as I work in film/TV/media. I thrive on critical thinking so if anyone else wants to chime in with their opinion of Heart of an Empire (and eventually this new one being made) bring it on ! :peace: