"Raw umber" Weathering tutorial

Bigdane

This tutorial is dedicated to "tentacle" my garrisom m8, and all other who wana do the weatering whit the "one color" approche. As many know the weatering proces of armor is a wery rewarding and crusual step, it binds the hole projekt together and makes it **unique** its also a proces that appels to ones kreativety and maby that is why ther so many ways of doing it on the world wide web. this tutorial is my way of doing it.

the tutorial is a 3 step proces whits a will explain, its a super way of doing it becaus it only shows the basics and its still have room fore your owne kreativety in regardin on how "dirty" you want it ex.

ther are some bacis principles that need explaind first before you read the tutorial:

1. Layer technique: a way of aplying paint to bring out the diffrent highs and lowes on the armor

2.. Baselayer: Is a wery thin paint mix that is applyed almost invisible on the white armor but gives a yellow/crisp/ sandy feel to it and is crusual part of the layer technique

3. Paint removal: Wenn the applyed paint on the armor is to be removed it is crusual to the outcome, that you do not stroke the paint of and ther by leaving lines in the paint. But instead "DAP"

START:

this the material list from left to right

1. 2 cups fore holding the paint mix

2. royal d,or hair spray (after numors tryel and error's this is by fare the best suited)

3. Acrylic paint "RAW UMBER"

4. a pensel

5. a damp and a dry cloth

6. the armor pice

Posted Image

BASE LAYER:

the base layer consists of

1. Mix the Raw umber paint whit water 1:1 (1 part water-1 part paint) in one of the cups

2. Applye the mixture on the armor piece

Posted Image

3. Let it dry fore 2-3 min.

4. Take a cloth and "dap the exces paint of so it ends up like this:

Posted Image

Base layer done.

MAIN LAYER:

!!!! this layer is ment to bring out the high and lows on the armor to emulate were normal dirt whould sit, it also in this layer that if you go fore a certen pattern on your armor, like example in the s.w.a.t progam.

1. U take raw umper in the second cup

2. Applye it whit the prush to the requered area. (like shown) If you try to emulate a certen pattern it might be a good idea to print a sceenshot of the trooper and outline the area whit a pencil.

Posted Image

3. U take a damp cloth and agein Dap off the excess paint so it leaves just a bit in the cracks to give the armor some depth.

Posted Image

Main layer finished.

FINISHING

the final step is to bring out the BLING!! in the paint work, and protect it from wheater

1. spray the piece whit the hair spray

Posted Image

DONE!!!!!!

ty fore your pations, and i hope that this helps all oure upcomming TD troopers

p.s to admim can this be pinned????

FINISHING

the final step is to bring out the BLING!! in the paint work, and protect it from wheater

1. spray the piece whit the hair spray

FYI, some hairsprays will wash off with water. I lightly spray my weathered items with "Matte Finish" spray... it's very durable and won't wash off with water. Gives it that "sandblasted" look too. Lol :thumbsup:

I once did a sandtrooper suit whit only two spray paint cans, one light brown, one dark brown, and took it off here and there whit terpentin.

The look looks pretty close to the raw umber look here, and stay on the suit even if you took a swim in it :thumbsup:

http://www.google.dk/search?num=10&hl=da&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1440&bih=802&q=terpentin&oq=terpentin&gs_l=img.3...777.2819.0.3149.9.9.0.0.0.0.87.252.3.3.0.ernk_timediscountb..0.0...1ac.1.kfi-tA5WPDs

• 2 weeks later...

I echo the compliments being made here. Great work with the tutorial! This can only help existing and future TDs towards even more accurate looking Officers! :yes:

Wow, the MEPD has come a long way, no? Awesome stuff being brought to the table Troops! :td::thumbsup:

hey mike,

i cant believe how far the M.E.P.D. has come just since i joined!

ive got to say,and i know it sounds corny but it changed my life,i was at a stage where id just gone through a horrible

breakup and lost a lot of faith in a lot of people!

from the first post i made when i introduced myself,i felt at home with the fact people had bothered to welcome me in.

that is why when i remember i always try and say hello to new members,i believe that goes along way(i can still remember who welcomed me in,may sound a bit sad but things like that stick!)

anyway,dont know what im really trying to say except i love it here,good luck again with your new job boss and long

live the :td: M.E.P.D. :td: I.T. :thumbsup:

hey mike,

i cant believe how far the M.E.P.D. has come just since i joined!

ive got to say,and i know it sounds corny but it changed my life,i was at a stage where id just gone through a horrible

breakup and lost a lot of faith in a lot of people!

from the first post i made when i introduced myself,i felt at home with the fact people had bothered to welcome me in.

that is why when i remember i always try and say hello to new members,i believe that goes along way(i can still remember who welcomed me in,may sound a bit sad but things like that stick!)

anyway,dont know what im really trying to say except i love it here,good luck again with your new job boss and long

live the :td: M.E.P.D. :td: I.T. :thumbsup:

Great post bro, i feel the same way, and thats why i have been here all most every day through the years.

The mepd are my brotherhood/family, and been there for me in my ups and downs through time.

From gifts when i got my son, and support letters etc when i was going through my hard divorce, and still is sadly.

High five and hugs to the best forum on planet earth period!

Thanks, Marcus!

I will try to do my best in carrying on the tradition and mantle given to me by Rick, Juan and Command Staff. :thumbsup:

On a personal note,...

As Rolf, and other fellow TDs here can surely attest, we all deal with 'real life' situations and it is great to know that when things do reach a place where the pressures can become downright challenging, we can turn to our friends here on the MEPD. This is definitely a tight community and and the camaraderie here is second to none. I truly believe that.

We may be a costuming group, but it is made up of real people with real problems and feelings. It's amazing how this has become a support group too. Interaction here at the 'Precinct' can be very therapeutic, believe it or not.

So with that said, I hope all is well with you, Brother. I hope you (and Rolf) stay strong and try to keep a positive outlook. There is always a bright side. The one that keeps us going.

There were times in the past couple of years, where I had my own challenges, and the MEPD ( and the 501st) did help with keeping my sanity in check. :yes:

I only hope that I can pay it forward.

Be strong and Semper Imperius! :td::thumbsup:

Thanks, Marcus!

I will try to do my best in carrying on the tradition and mantle given to me by Rick, Juan and Command Staff. :thumbsup:

On a personal note,...

As Rolf, and other fellow TDs here can surely attest, we all deal with 'real life' situations and it is great to know that when things do reach a place where the pressures can become downright challenging, we can turn to our friends here on the MEPD. This is definitely a tight community and and the camaraderie here is second to none. I truly believe that.

We may be a costuming group, but it is made up of real people with real problems and feelings. It's amazing how this has become a support group too. Interaction here at the 'Precinct' can be very therapeutic, believe it or not.

So with that said, I hope all is well with you, Brother. I hope you (and Rolf) stay strong and try to keep a positive outlook. There is always a bright side. The one that keeps us going.

There were times in the past couple of years, where I had my own challenges, and the MEPD ( and the 501st) did help with keeping my sanity in check. :yes:

I only hope that I can pay it forward.

Be strong and Semper Imperius! :td::thumbsup:

To have a baby, and now small child alone is a full time job and a hobby killer for sure, plus having a twisted ex wife to fight off as well.

But he grow fast and we are so good together, and soon things will be more easy for me again in life... i hope.

I´m pretty sure i will not assemble armors and props like before, but over time more hobby time will come back again i´m sure :thumbsup: