Just a couple of questions

raeil

Hey there,

I just have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to get answered by intense lurking alone.

- I have not been able to find a tutorial for building sandtrooper armor. I am not 100% sure on how different it is from stormtrooper ones. If they are similar, should I just follow the tutorials on whitearmor.net?

- I have ordered RT-Mod, and his expected finish time for my order is November. Does RT-Mod have anything different from the usual builds that I should know about?

- Are blaster scar/scorch marks allowed for approval? I'd like one across the eye, like the stormtrooper commander (but less lengthy of course).

More questions may pop up, but they are the ones I haven't been able to find answers for so far!

Thanks in advance :)

Hey there,

I just have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to get answered by intense lurking alone.

- I have not been able to find a tutorial for building sandtrooper armor. I am not 100% sure on how different it is from stormtrooper ones. If they are similar, should I just follow the tutorials on whitearmor.net?

- I have ordered RT-Mod, and his expected finish time for my order is November. Does RT-Mod have anything different from the usual builds that I should know about?

- Are blaster scar/scorch marks allowed for approval? I'd like one across the eye, like the stormtrooper commander (but less lengthy of course).

More questions may pop up, but they are the ones I haven't been able to find answers for so far!

Thanks in advance :)

You've come to the right place! There are far more knowledgable folks here than me on TDs but you should be fine.

Very little difference in the main components of a sandtrooper build vs. a stormtrooper...but there are a number of differences in the finer details...check the "Costume Reference Library" for more information. Whitearmor.net is great plus look at this area to get started...

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=7240

The main thing to keep in mind when buying a kit is that some them are a better fit for a particular size person...if you're average (IMO) that means 5'9 - 6'1 for a male and 150 - 210 then almost all the commonly available kits should work...if you're on the smaller side then you'd want to avoid those kits that have been intentionally made for the bigger trooper and vice versa.

Weathering/battle damage is required for sandies...just consult the threads that address this as to how much :)

Best of luck - you'll find the MEPD crowd very friendly and helpful.

Now go get dirty!

Geoff is absolutely right. Check The Costume Reference Gallery and you have what it takes for the build up. In my case I did that as a checklist and followed the Whitearmour tutorials knowing that great differences were among the shoulder straps, no canisters, nor hip plates, ab plate and side buttons change, left sniper knee plate is summoned, side rivets and snap buttons accordingly to each side... The bucket changes, dark green lenses, no bubble dark ones, no black lines on the ear traps and the back of it; but overall dirtiness is a must.

If you are planning to aim for SWAT you must be Deployed first as a Police Officer, in case you want to emulate a particular screen accurate TD.

In case you don't, the Costume Reference Library is your best bet if you want to make a TD of your own, that's what I made.

Search for Pandatroopers tutorial and recently Rolf shared his new build step by step. That should give you more building insights. For everything else keep on popping the questions that we'll aid you the best possible way.

Welcome aboard Kazimir

Hey Kazimir,

Welcome to the MEPD! Here you will find everything you need to become a TD. I can see you are already doing the right thing: searching and asking if not founding what you need!

:)

We will be happy to help you and answer all your questions or at least point you in the right direction.

So, here it goes:

- I have not been able to find a tutorial for building sandtrooper armor. I am not 100% sure on how different it is from stormtrooper ones. If they are similar, should I just follow the tutorials on whitearmor.net

TK and TD armor are pretty much the same. Just be sure to build it the ANH way.

You can follow several build threads here, also over the FISD. Just take in consideration one thing, choose a tutorial that gets you an ANH armor built the right way. And try to also follow real armor references, cause many times troopers will make mods to their armor to better fit them or just to make them look different, and if you dont notice that it is a customization, you might end up with something you were not attempting to. I would recomend you to start a building thread where you can share your progress and ask as many questions as you want. We will be happy to assist you.

Also, here is a great tutorial you might want to read and study. This could be a good starting point, but dont forget to also check other threads and tutorials.

Most differences from TK armor need to be done after basic armor assembly: paint job on the helmet, accesories like sniper knee plate and ab plate, no canvas or thermal detonator (referred as TD over the FISD), etc.

You could also follow my own build thread from 3 years ago. Lots of discussion and good info there.

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=5844&hl=+iconoclasta_88%20+te2%20+armor#entry70558

I dont really know much about RT-Mod. I know it is not TE derived (the link I posted is a TE2 build). But it shoulde be not very different. Use your imagination and ask questions. Building it the right way should not be too difficult.

Weathering (being dirty) is needed for 501st clearance and Police Officer and SWAT deployment. But blasters, scars and scorching is not allowed for MEPD, only for 501st level. This is mainly cause the goal of the detachment is to bring TDs to a closer look of those seen on screen, and we never see scorched armor other of those already shot death.

Sorry for that. You can have it anyway and troop with it, it just wont be allowed for MEPD status clearances.

Hope This helps.

If you need anything else, let us know.

Saludos

Juan

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, helped a lot!

I swear I replied right after them, but apparently not.

So far I have

- TK Boots

- Trooper1 Orange Pauldron

- Dirtyboy 'Move Along' backpack

- Grand Moff Niko DLT-19 (Although it is lacking an ammo box)

- 3 MP40 ammo pouches (http://www.ebay.com/itm/GERMAN-WW2-BLACK-LEATHER-MP40-AMMUNITION-POUCHES-REPRO-/120929134157?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item1c27f0264d)

And my RT-Mod armor will be arriving on my front doorstep anytime this coming week!

Quick questions -

I am going for the captain - cantina version. Is it fine that all the ammo pouches are the same ones that I have, or are the two to the side the longer, more straight edged versions?

Will an ammo box be necessary? If so does anyone sell just the box?

Are any heavy tools actually necessary, as I only have my fathers Dremel and anything my local garrison members are willing to help me out with?

I can't seem to find any screenies of the captain cantinas full weathering, just the upper torso and front helmet. Anyone have any other shots, or if not what is the protocol of weathering unknown armor?

Does any of the velcro or snaps etc need to be specifially ordered online, or is most of it found at local hardware stores (or Bunnings here in Australia, the giant handyman store.)

That's all for now, I try to lurk as much as possible to find these answers and not bother everyone, but some things just need asking! :)

Welcome to the MEPD! With regards to "heavy tools", you won't need anything beyond your Dremel and maybe a small modeling iron if you need to bend and shape your armor. No need for the circular saw here. Most of the work is done by the "score & snap" method using a utility knife and then some sandpaper. A pair of Lexan scissors to cut through plastic will be helpful too. Just don't slice off your fingertips...

Have fun!

Welcome to the MEPD! With regards to "heavy tools", you won't need anything beyond your Dremel and maybe a small modeling iron if you need to bend and shape your armor. No need for the circular saw here. Most of the work is done by the "score & snap" method using a utility knife and then some sandpaper. A pair of Lexan scissors to cut through plastic will be helpful too. Just don't slice off your fingertips...

Have fun!

Thanks!

In regards to my previous question about my pouches, would (http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/21652-fs-swat-grade-leather-mp-40-ammo-pouches-ongoing-run/) do? If so, are two of those needed for the two sides of Cantina Captain, and the one I got from ebay on shoulder, or do I need three of those for all places?

Thanks in advance again! :)

Your other question, You would need 2 - 3 slot pouches that are leather. The shoulder pouch is a 3 slot canvas pouch with a small tool pouch that is connected. I have the correct canvas pouch as well and the tool pouch has already been moved to the correct spot. The ones from ebay have to be taken off and moved. Send me a message and let me know if I can help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey bud I strongly recommend you take a look at panda troopers ata build in imperial armour seriously cool and if you want to know wat not to do ask me lol I've done it all but these guys here know there stuff all the guys above have helped me out cheers to them and good luck to you.

Vince

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Just wondering if a shim between ab and kidney is needed for normal 501st status? I have just more than an inch of a gap each side, and would like to just lose the weight rather than put a permanent shim there.

I'd go for weight loss. Believe me you'll feel the difference when trooping with a good weight no gaps to fill in and just the right armor that suits your standard measures. ;)

So just holding them together with elastic will be fine for normal 501st status, and connect them properly when I've lost the weight and go for police/swat?