Isaac's first weathering attempt

theisaac

Hi MEPD.

This is my first attempt at weathering a bucket. Its my 2nd bucket build and wanted to have a go at weathering it up.

I live in Arizona so I just thought about how the sand settles on cars and windows after a dust storm. Please give it a look at give me your thoughts. Im not married to this first attempt so please be honest. I used a black, brown, and tan paint to do it. I feel like its a little too much but then after I started it I really liked how dirty it was so I left it. Im not happy with the weathering under the brow and I think I need more brown in the back. Thats where im at on it but please give me your initial thoughts on what works and what doesnt with it.

I appreciate taking time to give me feedback and for sharing your knowledge with me on it.

Isaac

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Rick!

I can swap out hardware pretty easy, thanks for the heads up. I will also have to redo it to put the tube stripes on.

What are your thoughts on the weathering? Do you think its too much? I feel like I have too much black on it still. Here in Arizona its lots of tan and reds so the black tends to throw me off a little. I researched pandatrooper's videos and also Trooperbay's weathering to get an idea of how and where to start it.

I also used some white caulk to make the ears look seamless and thats holding a lot of the paint. I dont know if its too much in those areas or if its one of those "I know its there so my eyes are drawn to that area".

Thanks for the feedback though Rick, I respect what youve done for the Sandy community so your feedback is much appreciated.

Isaac

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I will swap out the screws this week and get the neck trim on it.

Im still working on fitting my TK but Im pretty addicted to this stuff already and being able to personalize it a little is a fun element. I wont lie though, the idea of getting a backpack built is a huge hurdle in my head.

i like the weathering mate,as long as your not going for S.W.A.T. where your weathering has to be the same as the specific trooper your doing theres no reason why you cant have it as heavy as you want within reason.

i like the colours youve used!

as for the pack,there are 2 great vendors here who make them if you dont fancy doing it yourself,speak to

dirty boy(rick) or quartermaster(john).both are awsome pack makers!!

Isaac,

Lovely job man, each to their own with weathering, personally I think it's a bit severe but I was going for SWAT with my build so I did tone my down alot.

The way I approached weathering was to think about if I was a trooper and I was getting dirty all the time, and only had a small amount of time to get geared up every day, and wanted to clean it a little bit, where would the dust and dirt settle.

Nick

looks great Isaac!! I'm starting to weather mine this weekend. I thought you were going TK? I think the TD looks better anyways

Don't worry about the backpack. It's a very fun build. My pack took about 3 months to find all the parts (which was half the fun) and to assemble it. It's not as complicated as it seems. Although I can't seem to find the proper tube for the mortar tube to fit the endcaps that come with the AM kit

IF INTERESTED....check out my backpack build

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=9830

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jason!

Im finishing up my TK but a buddy had an old FX kit that was never built so I picked it up for next to nothing so that gave me the green light from the wife to do a TD as well. I always liked TD's better as a kid but when I was starting out the backpack scared me from going down this path. Now that Im more comfortable with plastic and putting the suits together I didn't have a reason not to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

The backpack didn't feel intimidating at all to me. I enjoyed it. Even though it took a few months to find the pieces. The Sandtrooper is a real commitment w/ all of the weathering, pauldron, Ab details, backpack & possible build of a BFG but I think the Sandy looks better

• 4 weeks later...

Spent most of the last month getting my first 501st costume done. Im officially TK-9492 now!

Then while I was waiting for approval I did some more weathering on more armor and wanted to post where that's at.

Posted Image

I didnt do as much with the lighter sand color on some parts to see if I liked it more brown/red than with the washed over sand look.

Ideas? Comments? Too much? Feel free to give feedback. I really appreciate it!

Isaac

That's just a bit under the amount of weathering I had. My garrison said to clean it off some. Seems to me you're doing what I did and just made it my own. I'm not exactly seeing anything recognizable from the films yet *in the way the weathering looks,* which is honestly pretty cool in my opinion. However, if you are looking for that screen acurate stuff. check out the thread Rolf posted in the same sub topic we're in now.

Well, If I cant get it approved then I'll tone it down. We have the same GML so if he didn't pass you, I wont pass with it either. I want to get it done and take a bunch of pictures how I like it before trying to get it passed.

Im not really looking for "screen accurate" in terms of what I was doing with my TK build. I know there are a few examples to copy and match up. This may sound dumb but Im thinking of it more like I thought of as a kid when I remembered what they looked like. It was more about those guys being more elite and not afraid to get messy to finish the job. So my build is a mix of, "this is what my car looks like after a dust storm here and some rain". Red dust and sand.

• 2 weeks later...

Took off a lot of the weathering that I felt was too brown/umber. Felt like I just went overboard with it on the first attempt. I also think what I remembered seeing on the screen and what I actually saw were different. When I look at screen shots again, the suits were not as dirty as I thought they were. I'll post the updated pics today. I may leave the helmet though as it was my first and I honestly love it. If it doesn't look too out of place then I'll roll with it.