Need Help With Shoulder Pouch

I have messed up 2 sets of pouches and just bought a third. I need major help. I have RIT dye to dye the pouches black and I keep destroying the leather. It gets hard and breaks ruining the pouch.

What am I doing wrong?

How should I dye the pouches without destroying the leather?

If I don't dye it should I just spray aint it?

If I paint it does the paint rub off on my armor?

Please help.

Thanks

I think, but i am not sure, that it might be the temperature of the water used for the dye.

My leather straps also become very stiff, and one even broke a bit. Dont have any fact, but maybe it is too hot. Dont know.

I think Rolf painted his pouch with humbrol paint and a brush... I know many others use spray paint. Whatever you use, i guess it is a matter of letting it dry completely.

What do others have to say?

Saludos.

I have messed up 2 sets of pouches and just bought a third. I need major help. I have RIT dye to dye the pouches black and I keep destroying the leather. It gets hard and breaks ruining the pouch.

What am I doing wrong?

How should I dye the pouches without destroying the leather?

If I don't dye it should I just spray aint it?

If I paint it does the paint rub off on my armor?

Please help.

Thanks

Really? I dyed both of my canvas pouches with Rit black dye and had no problems like that at all. I just used warm/hot tap water and a big bucket, the pouches were submerged for an hour or so maybe. I did beat up the leather before dying though, for a nice weathered look, not sure if that made any difference. I rolled them numerous times, sanded them, etc.. before dying. There is a thread I made for it somewhere but I have had NO trouble with the leather, the pouches I have must be about two years old by now maybe, and still working just great.

After reading juan's post I did some researcha nd it looks like he was right. I used water that was too hot and basically cooked the leather drying it out making it hard and brittle.

I plan on using warm water.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was able to finally get it to work. I let the cool down to a temp that i could tolerate when i put my hand in it. It messed with the leather just enough to make it look weathered and worn.

Thanks for the advice. If i ever have to do this again I will try it.

i have green canvas pouches and (this sounds silly) but I was given the advice by a fellow garrison member to cover them using a Sharpie marker. I did it to mine and it gave them a nice worn down look.

I've heard of this before...as long as the green still shows through it should be fine.