Attaching Ammo Pouches

Wondering how everyone is attaching the ammo pouches. The leather loops sewn on the back of them are at an angle. The canvas is tough to get a needle through. I have a few ideas, but am looking to find the easiest way that works good. Thanks.

What type of pouch and where do you want to wear it. Im guessing canvas mp38/40 on the shoulder?

If so, whati do is just running the pack's strap through the pouch diagonal loops and fix it with duct tepe. Just that. It stays where it should and looks right. Just hide the duct tape or paint it black.

Hope it helps...

Saludos.

not sure if this was what he meant, but for my question is was the hip pouch. The canvas MP40 pouches are diagonal on the back so it'd rest crooked on the hip if you use those loops. How do you fix that?

How funny, first I'm talking about the MP40 canvas pouches. Here's the funny part, I bought Gorilla Duct tape to try brfore I got to read replys. I was more concerned with the shoulder and was thinking of attaching it to the backpck strap. However, the first thing I tried was the belt pouch and it worked great. Here is how I was able to keep it straight and not at an angle. Get about a 10 inch pice of tape, run it through the top strap and then fold over the top of the belt until it comes to the bottom edge of the belt, then take the rest of the tape at the bottom and wrap. Actually, now that I typed it out, maybe start at the bottom, either way it's best to have the top lap of tape going the direction towards the ground, let gravity work for you(basic rule in construction). Then do the same thing on the bottom loop, it should come out looking even. Don't use cheap duct tape, it's one of those "you get what you pay for" kinda things, unless you wanna re-do this from time to time. Probably not. If i come up with anything drasticly different on the shoulder, I'll post what I did, otherwise, probably very similar.

To mount the pouch to the waist belt, here is what I did. I removed the angled leather straps by cutting all the thread. I then straightened them out vertically, used a piece of leather under each end, about a 1" square or so, to raise them off the pouch, then put in a rivet at either end, of both straps. This makes just enough room to slide them on the belt and hold them snugly and was a pretty easy way to do it. Been that way for over two years now and still going strong.

I can post a pic if the description is unclear.

To mount the pouch to the waist belt, here is what I did. I removed the angled leather straps by cutting all the thread. I then straightened them out vertically, used a piece of leather under each end, about a 1" square or so, to raise them off the pouch, then put in a rivet at either end, of both straps. This makes just enough room to slide them on the belt and hold them snugly and was a pretty easy way to do it. Been that way for over two years now and still going strong.

I can post a pic if the description is unclear.

I like this way you described, but i dont have the leather nor a means to rivet through all that haha. I'll try asking my outpost if they have anything that could work like that :) thanks!

I like this way you described, but i dont have the leather nor a means to rivet through all that haha. I'll try asking my outpost if they have anything that could work like that :) thanks!

It is really very simple brother, all you need (or need to borrow lol) is a drill and a rivet gun/rivets. I just drilled the small holes and then used a rivet gun to toss in the rivets. The hardest part is to get the backing washers, down inside the pouches ( the lower two attachments). I just used a flathead screwdriver and scotch taped the backing washer to the flat blade, slid it down in to the pouch until it lined up with the hole, held it in place and then tossed in the rivet with the gun and done. Really easy, I swear lol.

pretty close to what i did....you can always use small machine bolts until you can get to a rivet gun.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may try to do the same thing with the MP40 pouch to attach it to my waist belt. I have plenty of rivets. So basically (in review)....I will cut off the angled loops, stretch them out and reassemble them to the back of the pouch using rivets and rivet washers? Sounds easy enough.

Here's what I did to attach the MP40 pouch to my belt. I did just like what was stated above. I used a combination of rivets along with extra strength hot glue. Seems like an odd combo but it's very strong and has held on nicely. I wanted to keep things simple.

Posted Image

The hot glue reinforcing is sort of messy looking (who's going to see it) but it works

Posted Image

And here is the pouch w/ the belt going through the straps on the back. I like the end result

Posted Image