TD from the ground up - kit advice please!

HeloTrooper

Venerated TD veterans -

I'm sure this has been asked many times - please excuse the redundant line of questioning.

I'm looking at finally doing a TD build (most likely ANH "Move Along"), and I'd like your advice on which kit would be the best basis for my body type & build/experience level. Ideally I'd eventually like to take it all the way to S.W.A.T., so accuracy is crucial. I can dream, can't I?

I'm 5'8", 160-ish. Ordinary medium build. I have experience building ABS, but I'm willing to give HIPS a try if it makes for a better TD in the end.

I understand the reluctance to "endorse" one kit over another, but with the time I have available, I can't afford to waste any of it starting off with the wrong kit...

I'd also be interested to know if you think one helmet kit would be better than another, regardless of which body armor I move towards.

Thanks for your help,

- Andy

Dune Sea Garrison

Well I can tell you first off to get a suit that fits your body size. Another words, first off understand your measurements.

Next most of suits are great, will just depend on how accurate you want to get. I have a set of AP, which fits a smaller frame person, and is ABS, a set of TE2 which fits a little larger size, not much but a little. TM I use parts of with both my suits, but would love to have a complete set, still smaller stature I think, and the RS which is new and great as well. These are all Great suits.

Now other suits are good to, and you can do remarkable things to make them great! My best advise, is to get the best you can afford, but don't cut corners on your way. Greatness takes time to create! You can do it!

As for helmets, the same. I have 3 different ones and they are all remarkable pieces of work. I have a GinoV2, , and AP. The AP fits a little tighter, and the other 2 are about the same size.

I would love to have a TM, and an RS but just can't afford the exchange rate. Whatever you do have fun with it, and fee free to pick everyone's brains! Everyone here are great resources of information.

Just my 2 cents...

Hey Andy,

Welcome to the MEPD!

As Jay said and many other have, it all depends on your body build vs how much you want to pay and how accurate you want to go.

I troop in a TE2 and I just love it. It is HIPS and even if I only troop around 5 times a year, they all are 5 to 8 hours troop and it still does stand to the job.

Many have said that HIPS is good for TDs cause it is not shinny, but I guess you can have an asome ABS TD too.

I have build helmets out of ATA, TE2, and CAPW, and also own a Gino still boxed. They all are awesome if you take time and care to build them.

Also, TM is a great option if you want real ANH accuracy... and of course there is RS too.

The best advice I can give you is, know what you want.

Complete screen accuracy, fair accuracy, SWAT accuracy and 501st requirements are not the same and will need different level of commitment and resources.

About the bucket, unless you want to go mismatch with ABS armor and HDPE helmet, I would suggest just to get both in the same material. That way you wont have different shades of white on your armor.

BTW, I am 5'8" and 165ish... my TE2 fits like a glove.

Hope this helps...

Saludos.

It definitley helps - thanks for the advice. I'm glad to know that my research has not been in vain...

My assumption was that screen accuracy and S.W.A.T. accuracy would be synonymous - am I off there?

Do the TE2 and TM kits all come with ab plate details and sniper plates for TD?

Thanks,

- Andy

It definitley helps - thanks for the advice. I'm glad to know that my research has not been in vain...

My assumption was that screen accuracy and S.W.A.T. accuracy would be synonymous - am I off there?

Do the TE2 and TM kits all come with ab plate details and sniper plates for TD?

Thanks,

- Andy

Yes if ordered that way

Hey man, welcome.

They're not steering you wrong here! All great advice and right on the money.

Check out the links in my signature as well... the Armor 101 and the "Where to get".

TE2 isn't really available anymore. It pretty much "became" ATA.

Thanks,

- Andy

Sort of... What I mean is complete screen accuracy (more like prop "forgery") would include interior and exterior. Meaning strapping, techniques, materials and so on. SWAT is only about the looks of the outside. It doesnt matter if you have a foam leaf inside the helmet or is you are using suspendes under your chest piece. It is all about "looking" the part, and not really being it.

:)

Saludos