A couple of years ago, I came here with a TD kit, intended for my wife. Short story long, she didn't really want to do an armored costume in the first place. Fortunately for me, the trimming and cutting previously done will also fit me with a little creative shimming here and there. It sat in my workshop a while, which has been fantastic for weathering.
Originally, I was wanting to tackle an R1 "Patrol Trooper", but that will wind up being an entirely new kit of armor a little bit down the road. Drove Mrs. Thingonthefloor nuts watching Rogue One this week, pausing every ten frames to exercise my TFA Luke stare at the details of the new TK armor. That's a lot of work, I thought. Some, I could do easily. Others, not so much. A few things I 86'd entirely; deigned impossible for my knowledge, skill set, and tool accompaniment. So, I decided not to mod the kit I have just yet. Instead, I'm going to be working on a fair approximation of one of the Sergeants who has the Move-Along Pack. Undecided if I'll go Bay 94 or Desert guy. Only difference is pouch configuration, and I have precisely zero pouches. Besides, at the end of the day, I think it's the spirit those mysterious teasers are trying to capture anyway. Perhaps an homage, or just a simple nod. That is a pretty rad backpack though. I really dig the antennae. I'll move on to building that later; I think it's most important that I finish the kit I started, get approved, and get to trooping. I already have a Biker Scout approved, and a TFA Luke pending, so... Yeah.
I say "fair approximation of", as I'm not gonna go for SWAT on this build. Ultimately, I'm gunning for PO here, but even if I don't make that immediately I won't be upset.
Side note, I am absolutely terrible at keeping a build thread updated, but I'll do my best. After four years of this, Mrs. Thing has finally picked a costume she wants to do: Jyn Erso. I'll be working on that concurrently with the ANH Sarge.
On to the show. I didn't think to take before pictures, but all armor was roughly cut out. Shins and arms were all trimmed and assembled from the first go-round for Mrs. Thing. The torso/ab/kidney/posterior pieces were cut out, and trimmed for her as well. I got fortunate here, in that they fit me as well. I MAY need to shim something, but I won't really know until I get my undersuit squared away. I'd rather be lucky than good, any day.
This is where I'm at after a few hours of work, spread out over the course of a week or two:
And bonus picture of my helpers/work area. The light beaming through the window on my project/sewing desk, I thought was rather apropos.
Questions, comments, concerns, feedback of any kind is most welcomed here. I'll continue on with backpack in the appropriate forum. Thanks for reading, see you soon.