1 pointVader was the first costume I ever tried to replicate. 'Move Along' sandtrooper was the second. So it was EXTREMELY satisfying to finally have one put together that I was happy with after all this time. The morning of the first day of Celebration, I woke up at 4am and weathered the entire suit. And since I had forgotten the paper towels in storage, I had to use hotel room tissues! True story. I want to give a shout of thanks for all the people who helped with one part or another. Strider for his awesome seed trays and karrimore frame, RS for their found item mushroom caps, karrimore pack straps, and fantastic Tunisia E-11 build, and Blaster for his MP40 hip pouch replica. Also thanks for all the support from all the guys here who put up with me while trying to bang this out, Woody, RS, Strider, Rolf looking at you guys. I hope you guys like it as much as I do. Just to show how long I'm been messing with this prop, here's a comp showing the various versions I've made over the years. Back in the 90's the only reference available was a couple promo stills and pausing the VCR! At the time those old packs were made, I hadn't seen anyone else attempt an 'accurate' version of a backpack. Only random tupperware fixed together. .
1 pointHi Bjorn, I have only just got into this scene after years of considering it. I am just about to build my very first costume (which had to be a Sandie) and have been researching exactly the same backpack. Thank you for leading the way with this outstanding piece of work. I am starting with the pack first and am busy accumulating all the necessary parts. Your thread has provided some great references and deep insight in to this build. I am a true novice so looking to research and learn as much as possible. Thank you again! Cheers, Stewart
1 pointThank you Roger and Vincent for the kind words! Roger, I know, I´m such a nerd, I can´t believe it myself... and I´m proud of it. As you were asking for my source of the pleather, got it from ebay, am quite happy with it as it´s only subtly structured. https://www.ebay.de/itm/Automobil-Kunstleder-Meterware-Sitzbezug-Polsterstoff-in-schwarz-150-cm-Breite/372665484347?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=641449882023&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648 I put on the remaining stickers, assembled it and before weathering, I used Microsoft word to replicate the "220V" sticker and the "WARNING" sticker. original: mine: I just messed around with it until it looked about right, printed them and put a layer of self-adhesive film on top, so it would survive the following weathering. I tried to get the "MIC" and "EAR" stamps on the pleather surround as well but it didn´t work out as planned, so I´m not completely happy with this particular detail. This is what it looks like on Tony´s original: I decided against the techniques I regularly use for weathering, which is watered down black and earth acrylic paint dabbed off with paper towels and used some kind of sponge my wife uses to clean her leather winter boots and refresh the black colour. I just used it as it was and didn´t apply any more shoe polish. I wanted to achieve just a subtle used and greasy effect and I´m happy with it. Finally, for the first time ever, I have used fuller´s earth to do the weathering and while I would never use it on armor, it worked just fine on the radio, making it look dusty and old. And here´s the finished project: And now it´s on display with some of my favourite stuff... maybe one day I will attach it to a pack for some time. That would just add to the realism of having a screen-used radio... with even more holes in the back cover. Cheers mates