Making HIPS armor tough

FIVE

So after doing my first major troop in my TE2 TD the other day I was ready to trim and fix it here and there as we always are after a first major troop in any armor. I was also no surprised to find a tiny little "tear" on the top of the inner right thigh. It was too close to my leg still (too tight) while trooping and it had just begun to "crack" a little bit. So... how to fix this I thought...

What I came up with was simple but incredibly effective!

I took two small strips of canvas material, soaked them in E-6000 glue, and applied them to the back of the tear.

Posted Image

The inside of the right upper thigh with the canvas and E-6000 applied.

Posted Image

Looking at the "edge" of the leg piece where the tear was.

Today when I checked on it I was amazed!! The flexibility of the E-6000 combined with the holding power of the canvas was like I had an indestructible "cast" on the inside of the leg piece!

While the TE2 armor is I'm seriously considering buying more E-6000 and "coating" the insides of the entire suit.

I probably won't really do this, but it's nice to know should I really, really want to — or should I need to fix another tear or crack — it is very easy to do.

Hope this helps someone else along the way... B)

Thanks!

I just posted on the FISD too about it and someone mentioned the armor rubbing up against the glue afterward (if you did large sections). I pointed out that if I did it over large sections I would put 1 sheet of canvas covered in E-6000 down... then another "dry" sheet of canvas on top of that.

Yeah... they need to sell it by the bucket. :D

Noel, thanks for sharing this valuable tip. At last an effective solution for cracks in HIPS armor. :)

I guess this method applies to ABS armor too?

You're welcome man! B)

And yeah... I'm sure it would work on ABS just as well. I haven't tried it personally yet, but I don't see why not.

Looks like the same effect you get when you are working with glassfibre Nol.

But I really like the way you approached the problem and solved it. It's easy, durable and not to forget cheap!!

:duim: Great!!