Helmet Lining

sandtrooper

My armor is supposed to arrive tomorrow (!), so I'm starting to think about the interior of the helmet.

I know you can buy chin straps and fans for the interior.

What I'm interested in is the kinds of lining you guys have in your helmets. I read about MICH on the TK site but don't understand how it attaches to the plastic of the helmet.

Thanks.

Well...

There are a few options you could do. But the real question is how you want your armor to be?

Me, for instance, I only use the old yellow foam in a star shape as the original buckets were padded for ANH.

It is really just a 1.5 or 2 cm thick sheet of cheap foam cut in the shape of a star and glued to the inside of the dome.

Then add an elastic with a couple of snaps and thats it.

post-1761-048688800 1291328360_thumb.jpg

You could also use knee pads from the home depot, cut them in the shape you want and glue them to the inside of the helmet.

These two ways I think are the most popular among members here.

There is anyway a third and very popular way to do it among 501st members using a hard hat linner, and glueing it to the inside of the dome and walls. That works well for FX buckets, and sometimes for ANH helmets too. But you need to have a smaller head since it will take a lot of room.

Thats padding.... Next, gear.

Many troopers add small computer fans to the inside of the helmet trying to make it cooler cycling fresh air to the helmet and so. If you live in a warm, hot or humid area, this might be very useful. Wiring them is not too difficult and they can be made to use a small space inside the bucket.

I personally don't have any fans inside my bucket. I used to, but then realized for me it was no difference using them or not, and I live in Mexico city were it can get as hot as 102ªF during may and june.

Sound system... some troopers fix their mic to the inner side of the vocoder, and just leave a cable to connect it to the amp or whatever... I rathe use a headset with a mic. It has worked fine, and it helps preventing the feedback.

There are also other options like the fake electronic guts here:

http://forum.mepd.ne...h=1

Or the padded liners available on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item45f33ddb30

Its up to you bro...

Here is another link that might help you:

http://forum.mepd.ne...h=1

Saludos.

I use a couple MICH/ACH pads. You just have to put velcro (I used the industrial sticky kind). The hook side of the velcro is all that is needed. The pads stick right to it. Then you can position the pads however you want to get a good fit. Plus if the pads ever become dirty/sweaty, you can pull the pads out to wash or dry out. Note that unless you have these pads laying around they are very expensive.

I also used cut up Blaklader knee pads into small strips. I attached the pile side (the plush side) of sticky velcro to the backside of the strip and used the hook velcro in the same way as described above. Works the same way - you can move the pads around until you get a perfect, solid, steady fit for the helmet. This is WAY cheaper than the above pads.

Hope that helps.

I used a medium, but I have a slim head. Definitely get a medium at the smallest or a large. Remember, you can cut sections out of the foam to make it "bigger". It's hard to make it fit smaller. They go all the way up to xxxl or something, and they're only about $10 or $12.

I have used the foam liners from the kids baseball helmets they sell at Wal*Mart, they have worked great for me. It gives you four pieces to use and the side pieces have open areas for your ears, comfortable and you can still hear lol. Keeps the helmet tight and I have used them for other buckets I have built for friends as well, also around $10 bucks.

• 3 years later...

that is a great look Gibbon but for me it would be too much since I have a big head and my ATA only needs a thin strip of foam along the sides and one around the back to keep it in place better, not sure what my new AP helmet will need yet but that is something I will need to look into it, the dimensions are similar but a bit bigger in some areas