Backpack - Make or Buy?

IanL

Just wondering what everyone thought on this topic. I am gathering the bits and pieces together for my TD and I am hung on what to do about the backpack. Truth to tell, I'd rather just pick up one than to make it from scratch, but those kits/pre-made packs are not cheap. What has everyone spent to put their packs together? Looking for rough ideas, assuming you have NOTHING around the house to use. I would also like to be fairly standard in my design.

My feeling is that you should build the first one yourself. If you hate it or it gets damanged, then buy the second one.

Ah, I struggled with this too. I guess it all depends on your situation. I really wanted to buy but didn't really see any good ones for sale. In the end I built one because I needed one sooner than later.

I'm not a DIY kind of guy and had no spare parts laying around, so had to buy everything. Adding up the time it took to do all the work myself I figure I spent (including labor) at least $400, maybe even $500 on the pack, not to mention much bile from my spouse as to why I was sinking two vacation days and part of a weekend making the thing instead of spending time with the family. Ugh!

Some guys are just really good at making things, have more free time, and have finished it much cheaper and faster than I did, e.g. for about $200 total time + labor. Wish I was one of them!

That said I feel proud to wear my DIY pack with my fellow sandy's who DIY'd it too. Sort of a rite of passage if you will, and don't regret the decision to make it at all, though I admit I'd buy one next time if mine ever fails.

I agree with Daetrin in that it's kind of a rite of passage to build one yourself.

I was hoping to buy one but at the same time had some specific ideas on how I wanted it to look (and was too bloody lazy to build one). But in the end I built one, again cos I needed it sooner rather than later and I really got into it - drove my girlfriend up the wall but I enjoyed myself

I say have a go at building one - once you get started it's good fun and it all becomes much more personal too.

If you have the time and patience, try building one yourself. Not everyone does but I think the beauty of scratchmade is that it conveys a jerry-built impression vs. something mass produced. Imagine a bunch of TDs far from their base of supply out in the wastelands, making do with whatever parts available if you will. Of course there are some ready-built packs to be had out there, but personally the sense of accomplishment of trooping in one built with your own two hands is priceless.Posted Image

IanL,

I agree, nothing beats building your own personalized pack. The time and effort you put into the construction, not to mention the store to store trips, sourcing for parts will allow you to really appreciate the pack once it's done.

You can honestly and proundly say, I did this...with some help. [TE thanks again for the Radioplate.]

Side note, see the airpump I'm using? Last part I needed to complete my pack. Couldn't find a correct item to use till one day I was grocery shopping and came across a party ballon pack for kids. Cost me a whole $3.00. LOL!

Stay safe.

Tim.