oily look...

mac

Saw a great photo on here, of the sandys being painted with oil, in between takes, so got me thinking of using several layers of watered down acrylic... hoped it would react to the plastic like oil would. Used very watered down burnt umber, had to keep dabbing with a cloth to prevent running, then black, a few layers and it seemed to work!

Has anyone else used this?

• 2 weeks later...

Been messing around, works pretty well.

Also experimented with applying with a 2" wide brush, as used in the film, strokes and dabs then dab of with a cloth, light sandy solution first, then a darker mixture after. Also going to try dotting on the very tiny black specks (Dark grey I reckon I'll use) with an ultra fine brush or flick with a toothbrush, where the original screen solution congealed and formed tiny black oily lumps.

Will be doing one of my lids soon, will get a few pics up... if it works out!

My weathering was done with oil base paints. Yes, they don't come off easily, So I can't change it up often. Only thin it does give me is a wetter look all the time, and I added a dusting to the paint before it dried as well.

I must have done something right because I get lots of compliments on the weathering at cons all the time. Another words, yes the wet look is cool!

• 3 weeks later...