Trooper Exhaustion

TD1149

Anybody out there ever get a serious case of trooper exhaustion? On Tuesday I volunteered to appear at my local Suncoast for the DVD release. When they asked me if I could be there for 10 hours I said yeah thinking that I would be a big hero to all the kids. I spent about 9 hours in the armor and suffered the worse case of exhaustion I ever had in my life and that's saying a lot. I was very sick the next day and spent 2 days recovering. What an idiot. Just wondering if anybody else has any similar horror stories to share.

Nope, and I troop in the burning, Arizona sun. The trick is to constantly drink water, and pop a couple Ibprofins before I troop. This helps premptively kill the usual "helmet headache". I learned this trick during my 13 year stint in the SCA. (Medieval combat)

The water is the important part though. Drink even if you're not thirsty!

Nope, and I troop in the burning, Arizona sun. The trick is to constantly drink water, and pop a couple Ibprofins before I troop. This helps premptively kill the usual "helmet headache". I learned this trick during my 13 year stint in the SCA. (Medieval combat)

The water is the important part though. Drink even if you're not thirsty!

Very true!

The euphoria you get in armor can sometimes out-shadow your personal needs. The most time I ever spent in armor was eleven hours, and during the last four hours, I was drinking lots of beer!! While I survived no problem, the next day did hurt somewhat. Build your tolerance up, and drink lots of water!! You should also mod your armor to be as comfortable as possible for long tours of duty.

While not realistic, I tend to to look at it like "what if this was a real job?" "What if I had to wear this stuff as my uniform?!" So I try to make mods to the armor that make it bearable for long periods of time.

I know the first time i donned my armor i barely lasted two hours due to having next to no mods (couldn't negotiate the stairs) and being real friggin hot. Anymore though it feels as if i could go on as long as i want (now however, i can sit down, amongst other things). It really doesn't set in (for me anyway) until i take it off and i realize how sweaty and sore i am from lugging around all the extra weight. But yes, water, lots of water!

I haven't worn the armor that long, the longest was about 4 hours for the DVD release. I had no problems other than a wicked case of trooper tracks. Last year I walked roughly two miles in armor for a Cancer Walk...but that was sans backpack and BFG. The trick there was hydration...it also wasn't that hot outside. If you have helmet fans...use 'em. That probably helps too.