Woodman's weathered MP40 pouch

I got the pouch from Blastmaster and it was dark green like most but it was pretty heavy canvas and not like some of the thinner ones. I used leather dye in the sink and tinited the water so it would dye it but not be too opaque.

I let it dry overnight then I used sandpaper to bring out the highlights and details. I used an exacto knife blade to scrape away the black from the leather parts and give them some texture. The leather stuff was still a bit wet so I used my heatgun and torched them so they would draw up and shrink and curl up making them look worn and old.

Then I used real dirt to sand it up. I know it's heavily weathered but that's the look I am going for.

Posted Image

That looks really cool.

The light is a bit strange, is the yellowish color, actually green? Or is it white-ish yellow-ish?

The aging and weathering looks awesome!

Lots of character!!

Good job bro!

And btw, that pouch is amazing!

Any plans on relocating the small pouch to make it more accurate?

;)

Saludos

That looks really cool.

The light is a bit strange, is the yellowish color, actually green? Or is it white-ish yellow-ish?

The aging and weathering looks awesome!

Lots of character!!

Good job bro!

And btw, that pouch is amazing!

Any plans on relocating the small pouch to make it more accurate?

;)

Saludos

I moved the small pouch over and added more black oil staining effects at the bottom and took the picture in better light for an accurate representaion.

I got the pouch from Blastmaster and it was dark green like most but it was pretty heavy canvas and not like some of the thinner ones. I used leather dye in the sink and tinited the water so it would dye it but not be too opaque.

I let it dry overnight then I used sandpaper to bring out the highlights and details. I used an exacto knife blade to scrape away the black from the leather parts and give them some texture. The leather stuff was still a bit wet so I used my heatgun and torched them so they would draw up and shrink and curl up making them look worn and old.

Then I used real dirt to sand it up. I know it's heavily weathered but that's the look I am going for.

Posted Image

Very nice pouch and work Woody ;)

I did all most the same.

I cut out some layers of thick cardboard, and add them in the pouch like real gun clips to hold the shape.

I then brush hand painted it black whit Humbrol.

Let it dry up for a day, then i used some soft sand paper all over it.

Mostly on the corners, and leather straps.

I then took out the cardboards again.

It now have the right shape, whit sharper corners then before it was painted.

Because the Humbrol paint, make it a bit more stiff all over:

Posted Image

• 5 months later...

What's best when applying the dye, should you first soak the pouch in water, or apply the dye directly on the dry canvas pouch? I understand the process will differ depending on what brand of dye you're using, but what's your general opinion and experience?

I mixed my dye with about 2 gallons of water but I saved alittle of the dye powder and mixed it with about a cup of water so I had a big amount to dip the pouch in to get the black all over and then I used the stronger cup of dye to dab at the bottom of the pouches to get the effect of heavy soiling.