Yet another fine article about the 501st

iron ram

Hit the link For video and article

http://www.coloradoconnection.com/news/story.aspx?id=684784

COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO. -- For a small group of fans scattered around the world, Star Wars is not just a movie.

It is a hobby, a love and way of life.

For the men and women of the 501st Legion, also known as "Vader's Fist," Star Wars is not a distant childhood memory, but a present day reality.

"We are the largest costuming group in the world, all Star Wars based," John Coppin with the 501st said. "We currently have 5,500 members in the legion in 47 countries."

Founded more than 10 years ago, the 501st seeks to promote interest in Star Wars through the building and wearing of quality costumes.

And when 

Other stories by Rachel Welte

Springs Utilities rate increase 

Bracing for a blizzard 

Students walk around the world 

they say quality, they mean it, down to the last detail.

"I currently have seven and am working on an eighth one," David Platzer with the 501st said. "I hate to say it, I have about $24,000 in all my armor. "

"That is one of the requirements of the 501st, you have to be 18 and your costume has to be screen accurate, and it is a very rigorous process," Coppin said.

To give you an idea of just how intense the members take their armor, or kits, there are only seven red storm troopers in the world, one of which lives in Colorado Springs.

"You want to have all that research done, a dedication to create that character and become that character, whichever one you choose," Platzer said.

But there is another side to this story.

A softer side that is more important than the movie, or the costumers the 501st wear.

"The legion was actually founded back in South Carolina by a man named Albin Johnson, and he thought it would be neat to make a set of storm trooper armor for the re-release of the trilogy back in 1997," Coppin said.

It was around that same time Johnson's young daughter Katie was diagnosed with a brain tumor.

In an effort to raise money for her treatment, he began attending events dressed in his armor.

"More and more people started to catch on to that, and really the ball was set in motion, more and more guys were trooping for Katie," Coppin said.

Sadly Katie did not survive, but what she started could not be stopped, as the 501st continues to troop in her honor now raising money for charity.

"Last year we raised $4.3 million for charities worldwide," Coppin said.

The guys and gals also make regular appearances at the children's hospital, and at several community events including Boo at the Zoo.

"There are the people that judge us and say 'We just collect Star Wars toys,' but we have a blast doing what we do," Coppin said.

Which is what makes the 501st so special, as they have taken their love of a movie and turned it into a force for good.

"Once I put on that mask I am Darth Vader to those kids, and it could be a 6-year-old kid or a 40-year-old kid," Platzer said. "I get to give back to the community something that a 35-year-old movie gave to me when I was 6 years old."

The 501st also hosts celebrities on a regular basis, and has stared in several "Lucas Films."