Calling iComm users!

T21Sandtrooper

Hey guys,

I got the mic perfectly placed in the bucket so the VOX works perfectly. However, then I went to go troop, and the VOX works so good doing what it is suppossed to that it picks up any noise and bursts all the time. Any creak of the armor sets it off. It looks like PTT is a better way to go to avoid random VOX activation, but I really don't want to add another wire, suiting up is enough of a chore as it is, let alone already dealing with the aker wires etc

Are there any suggestions on shielding the mic to only pick up voice? I'm thinking off adding foam around the mic to shield it to aim only at my mouth, but thinking this might be tedious and not work anyway, and limiting airflow what little airflow buckets already have...

Is the mic mounted to the helmet or still on your head? If it's mounted to the helmet then it will pick up any little noise and burst. The mic should be of the "directional" variety too and always leave the little foamy on it too. My cheap head mic that came with my Aker 4 years ago works great! I have no problems using the VOX on the iComm, but when trooping and out in large crowds I prefer PTT just because it gives me the choice of having quiet speech with buddies close by, or a more broadcast voice with a burst for "in character" speech with fans and kids.

Is the mic mounted to the helmet or still on your head? If it's mounted to the helmet then it will pick up any little noise and burst. The mic should be of the "directional" variety too and always leave the little foamy on it too. My cheap head mic that came with my Aker 4 years ago works great! I have no problems using the VOX on the iComm, but when trooping and out in large crowds I prefer PTT just because it gives me the choice of having quiet speech with buddies close by, or a more broadcast voice with a burst for "in character" speech with fans and kids.

Yeah its mounted in the helmet. Looks like PTT is going to be the way to go. I have a big head and a small Moncal helmet, it would be impossible to wear the mic properly placed for VOX and not knock it out of place putting the helmet on. Looks like PTT is going to have to be the way to go, with the benefits you described above being part of the consideration. I really don't want to deal with running it down the arm into a glove, that would be a pain, thinking about mounting the switch on my plastic ammo belt rib.

Any suggestions on a spot to mount the switch that is easy to wear and easy to use?

Yeah its mounted in the helmet. Looks like PTT is going to be the way to go. I have a big head and a small Moncal helmet, it would be impossible to wear the mic properly placed for VOX and not knock it out of place putting the helmet on. Looks like PTT is going to have to be the way to go, with the benefits you described above being part of the consideration. I really don't want to deal with running it down the arm into a glove, that would be a pain, thinking about mounting the switch on my plastic ammo belt rib.

Any suggestions on a spot to mount the switch that is easy to wear and easy to use?

I like having my PTT in my glove because I can use it the most easily from there. A spot in-between the the thigh armor and cod piece might work well.

Here is a tip to putting on your helmet and keeping the mic in place. Put on your headset, then put the foam tip in your mouth between your lips. Try not to drool! Then put on your bucket and spit out the foam tip. Then it will be in a perfect spot. My nephew taught me that trick.

Also, make sure the white line on the mic tip faces your mouth. The mic is highly directional. If it is facing the wrong way your voice volume will be muted, the static burst will seem too loud compared to your voice, and the VOX will be set off by sounds other than your voice.

I like having my PTT in my glove because I can use it the most easily from there. A spot in-between the the thigh armor and cod piece might work well.

Here is a tip to putting on your helmet and keeping the mic in place. Put on your headset, then put the foam tip in your mouth between your lips. Try not to drool! Then put on your bucket and spit out the foam tip. Then it will be in a perfect spot. My nephew taught me that trick.

Also, make sure the white line on the mic tip faces your mouth. The mic is highly directional. If it is facing the wrong way your voice volume will be muted, the static burst will seem too loud compared to your voice, and the VOX will be set off by sounds other than your voice.

Thanks Jim!!!

works well!!!!! I just need to tweak my installation