APOLLO 18

DOC VITO

I saw APOLLO 18 today, and true to my instincts, critics low balled it (reviewers such as ROTTEN TOMOTOES gave it a 23% out of 100%) so I KNEW I would like it. this reference will help: http://lunartruth.org/ Its 1974, and, semingly the last manned Moon mission has been flown, APOLLO 17. In 1972, due to bugetary restraints, APOLLO"s 18, 19 and 20 were cancelled. The Soviets had "Publically " ended their Man Moon Mission efforts in 1969. The movie opens with Flight crew interviews, and has a documetary style. We cut to a scene of a NASA flight crew of 3 enjoying a PICNIC with family, the phone rings, APOLLO 18 is back on, albiet itd a DoD (Dept. of defense ) run mission, to be conducted in the strictest secarcy, under the guise of using a Saturn 5 launch vehicle to loft a heavy payload.

The movie is comprised of docemetary style footage, mission footage on the Lunar surface, studio footage woven in with a very vintage look, AND tremendous atmospheric shots inside both the LM, and CSM . The mission is to set up DoD provised "PSD" Planetary Sisemic Detectors under the Ruse of making sure the Soviets are not putting any type of automated Earth obsertvation equipment, or weapons on the moon. The Soviets, were VERY succesfull in their use of automated space craft for lunar explortion, the LUNOSHKOD, or Lunar Car was able to retrieve and return lunar samples all via remote command. Also the Russians had designed a manned lunar lander: http://www.astronautix.com/craft/lk.htm

The mission goes along, the Americans Land, and go about setting up the equipment, all the while feeling something is not quite right; ..

See the movie, it worth the ticket

It's crazy....I'm the same way whennit comes to movies....I critics say it's crap I usually really like it. I saw the rise of the planet of the apes yesterday and I'm sure it got bad reviews but everyone in my house including me loved it. Maybe because it reminded me of a youthful time or maybe because I wasn't expecting much. Anyway, I'll se Apollo as well :)