Pauldron not sitting right

Hello everyone!

Almost finished with my first TD build and I have some questions.

I just got my pauldron in today and when I put it on, the side with the snaps is sticking up in the air and hitting my neck. Do you guys use anything to hold it down in place or just form it until it fits right?

Another question that I have has to deal with pouches. All I want to do ( for now that is) is to get 501st approval. Do I *NEED* pouches in order to be accepted into the 501st? I know I will need it once I decide to move on up to police officer status.

Thanks for answering my nubbish questions!

It is probably a matter of how you snapped the flaps together and how flat is your pauldron now.

You should try and bend a bit the pauldron to make a more used look. Dont bend it in an angle, just, bend it and make it more curved with the center going up and the edges down... then snap together the snaps making the flaps follow this shape. Should be more than enough.

Have someone help you, that will make it easier to spot any thing that might be wrong or ways to make the shape fit you better.

Saludos

Doesn't look like the rivets are required for 501st.

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TD_sandtrooper

501st req'd

All Sandtrooper armor parts are required to be dirty. See the sandtrooper weathering page for more information.

Left side ab plate has a minimum of three and maximum of four buttons painted white.

Right side ab plate is blank square and does not contain buttons like stormtrooper.

MEPD req'd

Left side ab plate has 3 buttons.

Armor side gaps should be closed or nearly closed; no more than 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) gap on either side.

This should be done by adding a shim or shims of material that must be of similar material and color as the ab and back plate.

Shims should fit flush and may have seams, though ideally they will be seamless to the ab and/or back plate, resulting in a single seam between the ab/back rather than extra seams for where the shims are joined.

SWAT req'd

Rivets on the left side of the ab/kidney plates: a total of six rivets with three on the ab and three on the kidney plate, equally spaced out along the depth of the armor and about 10mm from the edge.

One snap on the top right hand side oft he ab plate: back of male side of snap should show on outside of ab plate.

Visible fasteners under crotch area. One split rivet or brad in the front. (not required to be functional)

Doesn't look like the rivets are required for 501st.

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TD_sandtrooper

501st req'd

All Sandtrooper armor parts are required to be dirty. See the sandtrooper weathering page for more information.

Left side ab plate has a minimum of three and maximum of four buttons painted white.

Right side ab plate is blank square and does not contain buttons like stormtrooper.

MEPD req'd

Left side ab plate has 3 buttons.

Armor side gaps should be closed or nearly closed; no more than 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) gap on either side.

This should be done by adding a shim or shims of material that must be of similar material and color as the ab and back plate.

Shims should fit flush and may have seams, though ideally they will be seamless to the ab and/or back plate, resulting in a single seam between the ab/back rather than extra seams for where the shims are joined.

SWAT req'd

Rivets on the left side of the ab/kidney plates: a total of six rivets with three on the ab and three on the kidney plate, equally spaced out along the depth of the armor and about 10mm from the edge.

One snap on the top right hand side oft he ab plate: back of male side of snap should show on outside of ab plate.

Visible fasteners under crotch area. One split rivet or brad in the front. (not required to be functional)

Ok cool, the only reason I asked is because on the 501st requirements page that are on THIS site have a note under something like "construction notes" that mentions the 3 rivets, but it doesn't actually say if we need them for 501st approval or not.

Since I don't need the rivets my armor is finished! Just need to wait on the boots to be ready in a week or so from TKboots and I will be all set for my application.

Thanks again for all your help

• 2 months later...

The three rivets are for SWAT only. You will be fine for standard clearence..... however I say still stick them on! If you have a search on here you'll see how many of us used brass brads instead as they have the same heads as rivets and look spot on. ;)

Smally.