Return edges on ATA ABS armor

Kokonut

good day folks,

i got an ATA kit and i am doing the ruff trim right now and i am looking at some return edges at some places and they seem odd or not at a proper angle...

example...the chest plate...the front underside as a return edge that seems to be 45 degrees rather than going some more inside the armor... my problem is that i want to do the original strapping system of ANH on my armor but if i look at the movies shots most chestplate seem to have a return edge almost a 90 return edge on that part and many parts also.

i was wondering if many people had to fix the return edge on different parts of their armor? to me it seems that a lot of parts need some more bending for their respective return edges,..

any thoughts on this?

good day folks,

i got an ATA kit and i am doing the ruff trim right now and i am looking at some return edges at some places and they seem odd or not at a proper angle...

example...the chest plate...the front underside as a return edge that seems to be 45 degrees rather than going some more inside the armor... my problem is that i want to do the original strapping system of ANH on my armor but if i look at the movies shots most chestplate seem to have a return edge almost a 90 return edge on that part and many parts also.

i was wondering if many people had to fix the return edge on different parts of their armor? to me it seems that a lot of parts need some more bending for their respective return edges,..

any thoughts on this?

You can fix the return edges with a heat gun. And yea, my ATA suit has some weird returns.

Pandatrooper has a great tutorial here

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=12972

The angle wouldnt normally be 90 degrees or very sharp on most armor even original armor as it needs a slightly mor shallow angle so that the plastic can release from the forming buck.

You can try to deepen the angle with a heat sealing iron, but keep in mind that spot under the chest won't be seen from an average height person, and the depth of the angle will be slightly hidden from view.

i just find that the angle on the chest piece is too much going outside to my taste. i have seen some armors that had that type of return edge but most have it bent inwards...

Posted Image

Posted Image

i want to use the anh strapping system and that would mean the head of the bolts would show a lot...

most of the armor is ok with the return edges and the molding flashing you have to remove but there are parts that just don't seem to be natural compared to the original film...

Thats because most armor made nowadays based on the TE origins are Rotj / tour suit based, so of course it doesnt look like Anh. Rotj was recast from the original armor, so there will be loss of detail from generation to generation. Consider how far Ata is from the original, and there will be differences. If it doesnt suit your needs then modify it.

Thats because most armor made nowadays based on the TE origins are Rotj / tour suit based, so of course it doesnt look like Anh. Rotj was recast from the original armor, so there will be loss of detail from generation to generation. Consider how far Ata is from the original, and there will be differences. If it doesnt suit your needs then modify it.

yep. i ll have to do that. more challenging but in the end rewarding... With your tuts, ill be able to do that. i saw your return edge videos also which will help for sure. for earth magnets, which force do you recommend? i saw those on lee valleys site but i am not too sure which i should get...i guess the 5 lbs one would be ok... what do you think?