My first Kit

ECOLI

Ok,

So after a long wait. Still waiting on an AP kit I thought I would try my luck at an AM light kit. I will have some photos and any help/suggestions/critiques are more than welcome. I will try and post pics as it comes along. Since this is my first go at this I will be littered with questions/concerns. I will test fit everything over the next few nights and hopefully get some pics up for some help. From what I have gathered I really like this kits durability it is some heavy duty ABS. However, I will def need to trim quite a bit to get it to fit my neanderthal 5'9" 160 lb fram.

My first question in the general make up of the kit is do you guys recommend the strips versus trimming the pieces to fit together via the preformed seams? It looks like the trimming may be so severe I will have to add strips. Oh been following along with Pandatroopers tutorial.

Congrats!

Take you time, and as always, ask questions and post pictures!

Check out whitearmor.net for build tutorials on the armor if you cant find them here. Lots of suit specific stuff there.

EDIT: the strips are screen accurate and in my opinion (im an engineer!?!), form a stronger joint and just look better. I would 100% recommend going that route.

Congrats!

Take you time, and as always, ask questions and post pictures!

Check out whitearmor.net for build tutorials on the armor if you cant find them here. Lots of suit specific stuff there.

EDIT: the strips are screen accurate and in my opinion (im an engineer!?!), form a stronger joint and just look better. I would 100% recommend going that route.

I have wondered why the use of the seam are you guys doubling those up with velcro? Mine will probably need some velcro to open and get in and out of. I will show as many pics as possible.

I have wondered why the use of the seam are you guys doubling those up with velcro? Mine will probably need some velcro to open and get in and out of. I will show as many pics as possible.

All my joint strips are glued except the back of the shins, which are overlapping with velcro. I find the velcro connection on the overlapping method is quite weak and does not look good elsewhere. Plus, the covered butt joint is pretty bulletproof with E6000 glue since it can flex with you.

Check out This for how its generally done.

Another good reference is Stukatrooper's build of AP. It shows pretty well how to do the cover strip glued assembly

Exactly as the sith brother mentions. At my first build I did it all with velcro. Maybe because I was afraid of messing things up. Jajajajaja!

But to answer your questions:

-AM needs a lot of trimming and adjusting.

-Make abs strips for joining halves

-I glued in an out seems

-Velcro only the back of the shins with an inward overlap

-Whitearmor.net have great tutorials

For sealing for good the seems I used and recommend some superbonder with baking soda. Of course that was done after the strips were glued together and where they correspond.

Brother Sith has pointed you in the right way. Any additional help just ask.

Good luck bro!

Thanks Guys I will throw some pics up later tonight I hope. I put everything on and I def have some trimming but it looks pretty simple in theory. Is there a general feeling on how big hand guards will be I want to start with the ones from the AM kit, maybe trim a bit. Eventually going to do rubber etc. But they look huge on me I will show photos.

Thanks Guys I will throw some pics up later tonight I hope. I put everything on and I def have some trimming but it looks pretty simple in theory. Is there a general feeling on how big hand guards will be I want to start with the ones from the AM kit, maybe trim a bit. Eventually going to do rubber etc. But they look huge on me I will show photos.

It always seems so simple, and then you start realizing all the little things you want/need to do. And then one day your DONE (and dirty).

Yeah, post some hand guard photos when you get time. Not having built an AM i cant say much about their relative size.

Ok so here is the start of something:

Me sizing up

Posted ImageThe back

Posted ImageSo I have started working with the gauntlets and the hands first. The AM kit it pretty large but with plenty to play with. I had to trim the hand pieces to fit my hands otherwise they made mine look ridiculous. I just made a guess to cut off based of my hand size. Cut, then attempted to give a return edge with a heat sealing iron.

Before. sorry little washed out

Posted Image

After:

Posted ImageSince this is my first go at any of this I would have to say not bad...But, some newbie errors due to the odd shape of the hand shields and the amount I had to trim the return edge was pretty hard to get real clean looking. Overall, with some more sanding and a little polish, I am happy with it.

that return edge is hard to get with the odd size and the angles of the hand piece

Posted Image

Posted Image

After some cleaning up a side by side next to the right one you can see I almost took a half inch all the way around.

Posted Image

Next I will be working on the right hand guard and the gauntlets, more to come.

Seeing your pics and if you want it I'm giving you this advice bro:

-The key to all armor build is to have as much as suffice limb movement as possible. You should trim your armor this way without loosing canon sandtrooper standards.Posted Image

-I would recommend taking off some sides of the chest plate, and the back and chest plate don't join, they have a "black gap". I'm sure you've seen tons of references about this and if you haven't will be glad to help you out.

-Your biceps in the pics are facing the opposite direction."Oval" shape should be facing the in direct line with your biceps.

-I would take off a little bit of your forearm armor so that they won't bite your limb with flexing with your biceps

-Since you don't want to look as if you have a summo butt, Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image I would lower your butt are so bending won't hurt. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

-Your upper thigh build up should follow the "S" like pattern along with your cod part.

-When moving along with your build send pics showing the green lenses in your bucket and soft shoulder straps along with the soft canvas belt part. Terry's build-up (Pandatrooper) is of great help in the whitearmor.net site

-Great job in taking off some of your hand plate. I did as well in my AM armor, cause as you mention, AM kits are really big and have lots of plastic to work with.

-I would consider separating the cod part from your ab so you could bend and salute little troopers. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image. Besides it gives you an extra window when you gotta go, you gotta go. LOL

-Overall try building and adjusting your shins with your thighs, considering the ammo belt and sniper knee plate. What I did is that I armed my thighs, shaved off a little bit in the upper parts without loosing the canon shape so the armor labor on the lower parts remained untouched.

-Once I did this I adjusted the shins according to the thighs and if I didn't flex my legs a thousand times I didn't flex none at all.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

-The key and secret to it as I tell you is to accomplish free limb movement without loosing the sandie screen accurate standard.

Well bro I hope I have helped you out a bit with your future troopin. Hope not to overwhelm you with info but research and research comparison and criteria is key.

http://www.whitearmor.net/home/tutorials.html

http://www.looksirdroids.com/replica_sand-storm.htm

http://www.tonybarnett.plus.com/tutorial.html

Expect to see you soon here dirty and deployed for busting some Jawas and blasting some Tusken!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Thanks Sandman,

Yeah I know exactly what you mean I have alot to cut off I have trimmed down the gauntlets and will post some pictures let you guys take a look. I am trying to go slow and steady but it seems I learn something with every piece i.e. how to cut, where to cut, etc. It is going to be fun but it will take some time. I have been trying to keep in mind free movement. I will use your advice throughout this project and see how it comes out. I needed to write down everything I need to do but you beat me to it.

Seeing your pics and if you want it I'm giving you this advice bro:

-The key to all armor build is to have as much as suffice limb movement as possible. You should trim your armor this way without loosing canon sandtrooper standards.Posted Image

-I would recommend taking off some sides of the chest plate, and the back and chest plate don't join, they have a "black gap". I'm sure you've seen tons of references about this and if you haven't will be glad to help you out.

-Your biceps in the pics are facing the opposite direction."Oval" shape should be facing the in direct line with your biceps.

-I would take off a little bit of your forearm armor so that they won't bite your limb with flexing with your biceps

-Since you don't want to look as if you have a summo butt, Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image I would lower your butt are so bending won't hurt. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

-Your upper thigh build up should follow the "S" like pattern along with your cod part.

-When moving along with your build send pics showing the green lenses in your bucket and soft shoulder straps along with the soft canvas belt part. Terry's build-up (Pandatrooper) is of great help in the whitearmor.net site

-Great job in taking off some of your hand plate. I did as well in my AM armor, cause as you mention, AM kits are really big and have lots of plastic to work with.

-I would consider separating the cod part from your ab so you could bend and salute little troopers. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image. Besides it gives you an extra window when you gotta go, you gotta go. LOL

-Overall try building and adjusting your shins with your thighs, considering the ammo belt and sniper knee plate. What I did is that I armed my thighs, shaved off a little bit in the upper parts without loosing the canon shape so the armor labor on the lower parts remained untouched.

-Once I did this I adjusted the shins according to the thighs and if I didn't flex my legs a thousand times I didn't flex none at all.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

-The key and secret to it as I tell you is to accomplish free limb movement without loosing the sandie screen accurate standard.

Well bro I hope I have helped you out a bit with your future troopin. Hope not to overwhelm you with info but research and research comparison and criteria is key.

http://www.whitearmor.net/home/tutorials.html

http://www.looksirdroids.com/replica_sand-storm.htm

http://www.tonybarnett.plus.com/tutorial.html

Expect to see you soon here dirty and deployed for busting some Jawas and blasting some Tusken!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sandman,

Did you have to trim off the gauntlet to get the same size. I am afraid I will lose the look if I cut them to size??

I can show photos if you need them.

Pleased to help you bro. Yes, I took out 1 "square box" out of them from the lower area. Also I didn't make them have a return edge so they would'nt kill my wrists. LOL

Imagine that I rebuiled my armor 2 times one with velcro afraid of messing it up and the last and definite time with a snug fit. So glad to help you out as other fine brothers did with me.

The whole criteria of taking or not taking off parts depends on how comfortable you feel with your armor and limb movement.

Sure thing send pics and I'll troop armor with you.

Hey just an update I have finished up my gloves for the hand guards and just need to glue the snap plates them. Still have not done anything with the gauntlets but will probably tonight or tomorrow and will post some photos. Oh another question is there a criteria or set pieces that have a "return edge" from what sources I have found or read the originals did not have them???

Take your time no worries. Most Troopers do a return on the upper part of the chest plate and the shoulder bells. In whitearmor.net you could find some references. In my case I didn't do returns at all.Posted Image

Hey just an update I have finished up my gloves for the hand guards and just need to glue the snap plates them. Still have not done anything with the gauntlets but will probably tonight or tomorrow and will post some photos. Oh another question is there a criteria or set pieces that have a "return edge" from what sources I have found or read the originals did not have them???

Hey there Erik, how are you doing?

I have seen you have been having a lot of feedback from Tigui!

Great!!

Still, I am sorry I am checking your topic until today... Having read it before I would have adviced you about some stuff that could have been usefull earlier.

My main concern, seeing your picts is that you might have adjusted your thighs and trim or cut some parts of it wrong. This I say cause in the picture, you are wearing them backwards...

Not only backwards but on the wrong leg. Posted Image

Ok... check this out:

post-1761-0-55835300-1305164693_thumb.jp

Blue line is where the buttocks are supposed to rest.

post-1761-0-50863800-1305164694_thumb.jp

Red line is supposed to point to the front. at the middle of your thighs looking you from the front.

Blue line is supposed to run down and along the crotch plate.

Does that explains it?

Also, I dont understand what happened to your butt plate. Where is it? and what is that triangle???

LOL...

The butt should look like this:

post-1761-0-34857600-1305164870_thumb.jp

And as Tigui said, you can cut off the crotch part from the ab. It will make it more comfortable (just a bit actually), but I also say that the way that original armors were build, had this two parts together in one single piece. Your choice, just wanted to let you know. If you decide to cut it off, just make sure the cut will be hidden by the belt.

Also, Cutting of the edges of limb parts will make it more comofrtable to wear. But be careful not to cut off to much as it will loose in its overall looks. Also, some return edge is expected to make it look more real. Some prefer to completely cut it off... but most of the times, leaving the return edge will avoid pinches... if you cut it off to avoid this hassles, then consider that you will probably have to cut some of the piece to, as two parts with no return edge will probably pinch a lot when they meet.

A quick trick to better adjust legs... glue the parts together on the front. Just as they should be and as good as possible. This is what most ppl will see. Then, slowly measure, cut and fit the back. Make sure you do it just a bit at a time until you get what you want. You can always but more, but never less. And repairs on the back are not as noticeable as the ones on the front.

SAme applies to all "tube like" parts.

Everything else looks fine bro.

If you need more assistance, please just post.

And also, references shared by Tigui and Dan will be a lot of help. Check them out if you haven't yet.

Saludos

If you need more assistance, please just post.

And also, references shared by Tigui and Dan will be a lot of help. Check them out if you haven't yet.

Saludos

That is most helpful thank you, also just to let you know it was not to late, I have not touched that part of the armor. That was a fitting photo of the AM kit straight out the box. :) The only things I have adjusted size wise is the hand plates, way too big out of the box and am currently working the gauntlets and arms. Need to trim some of the forearm pieces, it is a little long for good movement. I hope to post some photos when I get some time to work them

I guess the issue I am having is how to trim the gauntlets they need to lose one to two squares to actually fit right and I am not sure how to go about this. I basically am afraid to lose the "look" I can show photos prob tonight.

Oh and my but plate is just uber tucked under the back plate, wild looking huh. :D

Don't worry Ecoli, I guess it happens to many of us when you pop out an build your first TK or TD.

If it helps I took out "one square box". The criteria I used was to see how it looked like armed

and then I cut respecting the canon look and cut accordingly to it.

If you send pics we can assist you in were to cut, don't worry bro you are not alone in the

dunes of Mos Eisley!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Ok so I had some free time and here are a couple of photos I am almost thinking two to three squares out of mine <_<

i bent my arm so you can see the pinch point.

Posted Image

A little better focus

Posted Image

My best guess on where I need to cut to get this piece to fit my arm.

Posted Image

Yes bro you are correct in your trimming if you feel comfortable with your movement. Thing is that were you want to trim you should consider that the inside part of the forearm has a curve shaped like a "u", so inner elbow joint meets the biceps.

If you go for trimming 2 boxes in the lower part as a math equation it's the same thing, as long as you respect and have a funnel shape and a snug fit you are good to go.

I would recommend before you trim to try the bicep armor with masking tape along with the forearm so you can evaluate were you should cut. Measure 3 times cut once.

Using a buddy to aid along the armor trimming is also healthy.

Your criteria is good bro.

Hey Bro...

How are you doing?

I saw what you plan to do with your arm, and I would like to ask what do you want to get, a more accurate-ish look or more comfortable.

Cause there are two things I could suggest you.

One, the easier way to make it more comfortable is of course cutting up the pice a bit. But dont cut it all on the back, but as tigui suggested, one section in front and one section on the back. That could make it more similar in looks and shape to what it is supposes to be. But there is a nother more accurate option.

Two, you could try and make it work not by trimming the ends of the whole "tube" but the U shape where your inner elbow would bent.

What do I mean... Check this reference:

post-1761-0-29058900-1305305433_thumb.jp

See how the TD with orange pouldron has a outer arm piece that just goes way back from the elbow.

This, is cause the U shaped cut is a bit bigger than what you have. This can make the piece more comfortable when bending the arm, but still look alright with a straight position.

So here is what I suggest:

post-0-0-77426100-1305306477_thumb.jpg

The blue line is where you could cut the u shape to better allow you to move.

The red lines is what you could cut to make it shorter.

But actually the more accurate thing would bet a mix of both since screen used armor had return edge on the elbow outer part, and NO return edge neither on the inner elbow part and on the wrists. That could help you a bit.

That is what I did... didn't cut much of the ends, just trimmed the return edge when needed and kept it when necessary.

Does that makes sense?

Saludos

Hey guys,

I want to say thanks for the help it is coming along pretty well. I used both your ideas and trimmed off both sides a bit to better make it fit. Then after I get everything looking good I realized my hands will not fit if I permanantly close them with no gap...How do you guys get around that I have an idea but...

Good to know the aid has done it's way. I had the same problem you mentioned.

As a matter of fact, different as other troopers to me the forearms took the most challenging part of build.

If it helps before sealing for good, you will have to adjust with masking tape and mark whereas your hand can fit as well as the armor piece has a snug fit. Even though they may seem alike there is no arm the same as the other.

My suggestion would be have the aid of a friend buddy, etc. Join the pieces with masking tapeand do the trick of sliding your hand and arm over and over again until you get the desired fit.

A funnel shape and snug fit according to your forearm muscular shape is what you

should seek. Hope it helps if not, keep knocking our cantina door.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hey guys,

I want to say thanks for the help it is coming along pretty well. I used both your ideas and trimmed off both sides a bit to better make it fit. Then after I get everything looking good I realized my hands will not fit if I permanantly close them with no gap...How do you guys get around that I have an idea but...

You could adjust the size of your arms with wider strips for the closure.

I would not make them open like clamshells cause it would looks strange.

Maybe try a wider strip...

If it ends up being too wide, just add some foam padding inside to make it stay in place.

Most of us have it like that.

:)

Saludos