CAP stunt bucket but... so thin?

spoox

Hi guys,

I need some advise on my helmet. A long ago I traded for a CAP helmet and I want to use it for my sandy look. Thing is, the paint is coming off really bad and it seems really flimsy. There is a small crack at the bottom too. I really like my buckets strong and sturdy :(

The glue also seem to have damaged the plastic here and there making some weak spots.

I already disassembled the helmet, removed all the decals, hovi's but now I am not quite sure how to continue.

Here some pics:

Posted Image

You see where I pulled off the decals and the paint simply came off with it.

Posted Image

When I unscrewed and pulled out the Hovi's the glue used for them made the plastic really soft and I ripped holes :(

Posted Image

Here you can really see how the paint is peeling off that easy..

Posted Image

Signed by it's maker :)

Anyway, I am really looking forward playing with this because it looks awesome and better then my FX ESB-ce

What should I do? carefully sand it and reinforce it with plastic epoxy on the inside? would there be an easier way to get the paint off?

Any advise would be welcome :)

Thanks guys!!

This is a repost from FISD (by me)

learn a lot while restoring my ESB helmet.

I used several methods to remove the previous paint.

1) (wet) sanding

Takes a lot of elbow grease and takes ages. Also, you might lose some detail

2) "hair waxing"

apply some tape firmly to the paint, and then rip it off. Most of the paint will stick to the tape

Posted Image

Posted Image

3) Oven cleaning spray

yes. it works. Spray some foamy cleaning spray for the even onto the plastic. Let it work for at least 24 hrs. The paints gets "eaten away". Use a soft (tooth)brush to clean the rest. Repeat if needed.

It does not affect the plastic. Just the paint

Posted Image

Karin

Hi Miranda...

After you have removed the paint, as described karin, you can do the following......

-then clean the helmet good with a silicone degreaser.

-next, grind the helmet with water sand paper P800-P1000.

-next step...use a good primer for plastic and then a sanding primer.

-this grind again with P1000 water sand paper.

-clean the bucket again with silicone degreaser.

-then paint the lid again in the desired shade.

I hope this helps :)

Greetings,

Dan

I hear that Dishwasher soap works too am I right?

Now, it's more of a stopgap...you can use this, but the silicone degreaser would be better. If you can get such a cleaner, i would prefer that ;)

Look in your local DIY store, because it would have to give something...or ask the staff in the DIY store.

I have found something for you-

"What are you cleaning?

1. Degreasing old finishes and new parts:

Old finishes need to be cleaned with soap and water first.

Use clean water and soap.

Then a degreaser for painted surfaces with clean cloths.

After sanding with the correct grit you need to clean with soap and water again because your hands contain salt and oil which will cause a defect, unless you sanded with gloves or were careful not to touch the surface.

Then a degreaser again. Use clean new cloths. Use one cloth to put it on and one to take it off. Don't let it evaporate on the surface. Make sure you remove it from the surface. Do this until the cloths come up clean. If the cleanup cloth is dirty then you need to degrease again. The surface is ready for the next step.

Degreasing plastic parts.

The only difference is the degreaser used. It must be non-flammable because plastic parts will store a static charge from any sanding or wiping just like a nylon rug and it can catch fire. This has happened four times in the U.S.. Plastic parts absorb solvents so you need to let them air out before you go on to the next step."

It's from this web site-

http://www.merkurencyclopedia.com/Exterior/how_to_paint.html

...hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dan

what about reinforcing the inside with a spray/roll on truck bed liner. super durable, thick, especially if you are going to paint it black anyway. you can degrease it with a paint prep spray, napa should have something, or a prep all in the detailing wax section of a good auto store. just a thought does goo gone strip silicone?

Awesome!!

Wow guys this has helped tremendously!

The paint stripping with tape was awesome! I grabbed a roll of duct tape and started stripping and it came of so easy it was amazing! Like peeling an egg haha. It took me less then an hour and I got all the paint off!

Now I am going to play with making it a bit thicker at some of the weaker spots :)

Thanks all!

See what Jesse (TK4702) on fisd did with his helmet.

I got the paint stripped of and did some reinforcing and gave it a matte repaint. It looks much better!!

After the paint stripping with the duct tape method suggested above :)

Posted Image

The aerator holes as seen from the inside...

Posted Image

Reinforced the edges and fixed the small cracks with plastic epoxy and matting

Posted Image

After a soft sanding and a good wash I gave it a Krylon fusion matte white spray:

Posted Image

Also fixed the holes as best as I could with plastic epoxy and matting :)

Posted Image

So far I am pretty excited how it is turning out! I am planning to spray my entire suit a matte white before weathering like I did with my clone to get that dirty, dusty feel :)

• 2 weeks later...

I about finished the CAP helmet! :) All I need to do is add the bottom trip and place the green lens but I do that after I dirty up my armor and helmet.

Here some pics! What do you guys think? Not bad from what it was eh?

Thanks for the advice!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

next to my FX

Posted Image

Artsy Hipstamatic pic

Posted Image