helmet fan behind mic tip install

jedi5150

After getting fed-up with the old "CPU fans behind the frown" setup, I decided I wanted to figure out a better way to install fans in my helmet, and get some decent airflow in. I don't really recall seeing anyone else install fans this way, so I thought I'd share. I've done this on a MRCE bucket, and now on my CAP-W. It's great, because the fan gets some pretty decent airflow through the MIC tip. Forgive me if this is repetitive info.

First, I removed the MIC tip, and dremeled out an area behind it (but smaller than it is) for the air to flow through:

Posted Image

I then install a squirrel-cage style fan behind the hole. This way, the fan will pull cool air from outside the helmet directly in.

Posted Image

I had an extra MIC tip kicking around so I used it (in case I destroyed it). I drilled it out so it's hollow, leaving a slight ridge to glue the screen to - like such:

Posted Image

After painting the MIC tip and installing the screen, I glue it back into the helmet, making sure to not get any glue into the fan:

Posted Image

Now, the fan can pull cool air through the MIC tip and into the helmet. I get a LOT more airflow this way, and there's more room for the fan in this location anyway>