AT-AT and HDPE replica helmet build.

Smally

Hey Troops,

Before I start - Pics are not the best as it was evening when I took them and the lighting was poor... sorry about that!

I have had the past five days off of work and decided to get busy in the garge with a couple of helmet builds. I have made an AT-AT helmet and also made an attempt at a HDPE chipped replica!

This is my HDPE replica. I have named this helmet Alfredo!, after the member, Woodenhorse, who gave me the idea from his fantastic build which can be seen on the RPF.

It started life as a standard TE2 that I bought off a member here. I painted it in a 'antique white' and hand painted everything else. It's not quite finished yet as I still need to get the right colour for the HDPE chips. Also notice the messy paint drips that were on one of the originals (It's the one in the middle):

OK, picture time!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next was the AT-AT helmet.

Now I bought this off of Ebay:

Posted Image

It was a one off fan made sculpt made from fiberglass. I had all of the greeblies that I had bought else where,I re-sprayed it in the correct grey colour, added the decals and then painted on the 'dots', this was the end result!:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

How did I do then?

Smally.

Hey Brad...

Those buckets look cool!

Good job!

Not many things beat spending a few days working in armor and props! :D

So, I am interested in the paint job for the TE2. How did you got to have such a thick layer of paint on it? It looks very cool. The detail besides the hovi looks very cool.

And also, how come it looks like a little green under the white in the chipped areas? Is that the color you used to simulate the HDPE color?

What kind (brand and color) did you use to get that antique white look?

And what did you use to mask the chip areas?

I like a lot the texture you got from the white paint. :D

I am considering building a new replica TD bucket. DId one last year as a rehearsal and learning experience (you might remember), and now I am considering going all the way and perfect my techniques with a new bucket... Maybe around summer.

So, your ideas and techniques looks very very interesting to me. And the look is very realistic for simulating a sloppy and old paintjob over the HDPE. I like it.

It would be great if you could post more picts!

:D

Saludos.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Juan - The spray I used was 'Plasti-kote Antique white' and i sprayed on many layers to build up the thickness of it. I coudnt find any Latex at my local store so went for the cheaper version - Blu Tack!

To get the look of a ruched paint job, all I did was spray heavily onto an area and assisted the paint to run. I would angle the helmet until the drip was in the right place and the tilted the helmet back. I then placed it near to a heater to ensure that it dried in that place. Very simple really!

Cheers for now,

Smally.