Painting a lid

ECOLI

Ok,

So I have some time to get together tools and instructions for my armor build. Waiting on that box is killer :) Is there any good threads on making the lid look great. More specifically I am looking for good direction with the frown area becoming grey. Paint? Decal? and I am looking at the vocoder how I get that part of my lid black. Then the final question is How will I return that look to glossy after all the paint. I painted my EFX frown and it is dull compared to the rest of the helmet and I want to fix that for my next lid any help would be great.

Ok,

So I have some time to get together tools and instructions for my armor build. Waiting on that box is killer :) Is there any good threads on making the lid look great. More specifically I am looking for good direction with the frown area becoming grey. Paint? Decal? and I am looking at the vocoder how I get that part of my lid black. Then the final question is How will I return that look to glossy after all the paint. I painted my EFX frown and it is dull compared to the rest of the helmet and I want to fix that for my next lid any help would be great.

Hey bro! if this helps, glad to help you out. I would definitely paint and cut out the frown area vs decals for two reasons: One, believe me you need some air flowing around. Two, it gives a more realistic look and finish. I did it with testors paint others go with airbrush. With airbrush you have to be extremely careful in masking sharply the helmet. At the end it will all come to the weathering style you have in mind and technique you want for it. Juan ArvizĂș may pin point you out in a great direction for this

As for the Vocoder, I did it with a spraying technique and it came out sweet.

The gloss comeback will depend on what weathering technique you used. If you used acrylics, the gloss may come back with a lot of patience and time dedication with a light sponge or lots of tissue cloths.

Hope it helps,

SMTPosted Image

Airbrush vs Paintbrush

I have heard some guys recommend wet sanding etc, etc, I was trying to see if there was a great step tutorial ablout doing that to the helmet I have messed with spray paint before and I hand painted my lid with Humbrol. I was getting bad bleed through on the painters tape. As for the wet sanding and the polishing after etc. I know thats how they do it with cars just seeing if someone had a great step by step with some photos. I have some time to investigate but what you told me really helps. THANKs