Coming To America

supa troop

Hey Guys

Im quite lucky in that have relatives that live in the states and ive actually been fortunate enough to visit them on more than one occasion.

Im due to attend a wedding in Buffalo NY next year setember 2011, and although i love my family in the US immensley i feel im missing out on all the great sights the US has to offer by being a lazy visitor and staying with Family, the only real big thing ive seen in the US is Niagra Falls, which was fabulous.

So back to my dilemma and your help ......... the wedding as mentioned takes place in Buffalo and the plan is for myself and the whole family to go. Weve looked into an Itinerary of how best to travel and take in as much of the states as possible while we are there.

This is the Plan - Fly Florida, Visit Memphis, Visit Nashville, Hook up with Family in North Carolina Travel together to Buffalo, leave family to Visit NYC, finally fly home.

Ive looked into distances and Travel Times and both myself and the wife believe that between us we could easily share the driving, the Kids are of an age where they can pretty much entertain themselves for the long journeys.

We have 3 weeks to complete this journey which i believe is very doable.

My main questions are as follows can we pick up a Car In Florida Hire it for 3 weeks and then drop it off In NYC without taking it back to its original origin.

How safe would we be just driving along our chosen routes and then finding Motels along the routes, are there any DOs and DO NOTS

By Planning on Driving is the journey we have planned doable and practicle, do you think we should Internally Fly while in the states.

many thanks

You can, in fact rent a car in one state and drop it off in another but as Ken said you will be paying extra for it.

As for the hotel/motel situation if you stay close to the Interstate with well known companies you should be fine. When traveling I personally don't stay at places that have direct access to the rooms from outside (i.e. you have to go through a lobby to get to elevators to get to the rooms). That's just my preference though.

The trip is doable but that's a lot of time in the car. If you like road trips, it'll probably be a good time, if you prefer getting to your destination and spending time there my suggestion would be to fly.

Either way, with three weeks you'll have time to do a little of everything.

You'll be safe man! B)

Just stay in nice places (3 or 4 stars) and you'll be golden! I never feel "in danger" in any way staying on the road.

America is BIG though... remember that. (like almost as big as Australia haha)

Plus that's some massive driving. So be ready. B)

And I'd say spend the extra $$ if you can and stay in HOTELS instead of MOTELS... i.e. inner doors and nice beds. :P

(just my preference)