Fixative for Tempera paints? UPDATE:

maj_hassel

I was wondering if there's any real good way of keeping your tempera paint job on the armor. Without careful handling "clean spots" appear, especially wherever you tend to grab your helmet when putting it on and taking it off.

I was thinking of an artist's matte fix but was reminded that sandy armor, even though it's covered with grime, still retains a level of gloss.

If there was a gloss fix I imagine you would end up with glossy dirt. If I wanted glossy dirt I'd use furniture polish on my armor instead of tempera.

Has anyone heard of a semi-gloss fix?

Has anyone out there come up with a way of giving their paint job more durability?

I should do some research. I have a set of old FX thigh pieces that I take cuttings off of when I need ABS scraps, maybe I'll try some matte fix on that and see what it looks like. I should probably also see if it's hard to clean off and get the armor white again--perish the thought!

I opted for acrylics in four different colors, as it takes SOME effort to wipe it off, yet you have the OPTION to take it all off and make another pattern when you get bored with it. You can find a plethora of small bottles in various colors at the WalMart crafts section for under a dollar each.

Yes, I used acrylics and followed Brak's tutorial.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/davin/replica_weathering.htm

He uses a product called Fuller's Earth which is a finely powdered clay. I went out side and got some dirt because its super fine and red here. It worked just the same. Just spray some hairspray, then dust the stuff on and then I brushed it off...

I picked up a can of Krylon UV-Resistant Clear and was pretty pleased with the results...until I tried to clean it off. It doesn't come off.

It will not come off with Goo Gone, something like paint thinner might be a different story. I don't have any I'll pick some and try it as well, although I prefer not to work with solvents if necessary; I don't want my frown bleeding all over my mic tips, if you know what I mean.

The upside to this stuff is this: If you are 100% happy with your paint/dirt job and would like to keep it intact then this stuff is worth a try. It's an acrylic coating and also helps block UV rays. This stuff might be pretty good on a new set of clean styrene armor since it would probably retard the yellowing process and would retain the glossy shine.

I tried to see if it would significantly change the appearance of paint/mud spatters because of it's gloss finish and didn't find a real noticable difference. It's also nice to know that you could troop in a downpour and your weathering would stay just where you put it and not run.

I'm going to try some other fixatives as well and I'll post my results.