Helmet size

KarmaTiger

A friend of mine just loaned me his eFX helmet (injection molded, licensed from Lucasfilm). I've a big melon on my shoulders but this thing seems cartoonishly oversized. Since I don't have another bucket handy to compare it to, I figured I'd ask here; is the eFX as oversized as the original FX?

Yeah, if it's an eFX it's not anywhere near the size of an FX.

Part of what may make it seem "big" to you is the opening is much larger than it "should be" to be screen-accurate.

It doesn't matter for deployment, or much any other reason really for that matter. In fact loads of guys have and use them. But it is bigger.

And yes, it's the same thing as the MR CE... just a bit better made — so I've heard. B)

Do you have a picture of the helmet in question?

I have one of the larger heads in the 501st and the MRCE which is the same mold as the eFX

fits me like a glove without looking cartoonish at all.

The MRCE is injection moulded, snap-together too? I thought it was vacuum formed.

Yep. B)

does it have the same crappy mould seam line running around the back of the chin segment, and the so-sloped-in-the-openings-are-tiny frown? That's my biggest beef with this eFX helmet. it's like they were working on it from the rear to the front and by the time they got to the frown & chin, they just figured "Screw it - lunch is in 5. Let's get this thing done and get outta here".

I believe the molds are tge same with the Mrce and Efx, so yes the seam would be there, etc. Check starwarshelmets.com for detailed photos.

With injection molding, its often easier to manufacture the parts if there are separate pieces when dealing with compound curves and shapes. They probably figured that no one would notice the seams, etc.

oh I'm familiar with the manufacturing process. I said "crappy seam" specifically, because they could have lined it up with a few features but chose to have it run arbitrarily across them instead. From an ease of moulding standpoint it wouldn't have altered the ease of manufacture, but for someone would have had to spend another 1/2 hour planning. :(